• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5970 temp and fan control...

Associate
I was playing crysis yesterday at 1920 X 1080 everything on ultra and 8XAA

Im getting good frames 30 to 40fps and above...

I had GPUZ and RealTemp running in back ground and noticed that my GPU temp hit 80 mid/high temps on auto fan control... which is too hot for my liking however I cannot adjust fan control is there any way to manually set my fan to run at a particular speed when gaming say at like 60% (or what ever fan speed that keeps my temps under 80oc)???

Thank you

Associate
I use MSI Afterburner to set a fan profile. I have it so that at 53 degrees it ramps up to 65% and at 60 to 75%.

In game it runs around 55 and even in furmark I only see about 59

Regards
Fred

Associate
OP
cheers fred i check it out... can you manually adjust the fan to run at one speed via ATI Overclock section?.. im saying because on my 295GTX i can adjust the fan to run at a set speed when gaming via Gainward monitor tool (or along that name)...

but cheers anyway...

p.s. does MSI Afterburner save the fan profiles to the card bios or something. im asking because would i have the set fan profiles even if i delete the MSI Afterburner app??

Associate
Yeah, you can select one speed and keep it there, but you need to have Afterburner installed and set to load settings on startup otherwise it won't stick.

Associate
OP
Strangely enough today I ran GPUZ ver: 0.4.2 and played crysis for half an hour 1920x1080 2xaa.

And in the GPUZ log it shows that the fan speed did not increase more that 30% regardless of the increase in gpu heat...

GPU temp peaked at 83c

And core 1 peaked at 83c and core 2 peaked at 85c
The VDDC didn't go higher than 84oc across all VDDC's

Now I know that the VDDC can withstand temps up to 120c

But the baffling thing is why isn't my Fan not ramping up?
I didn't hear the fan as I had the sound on lol

Associate
MSI Afterburner is the best for fan control, I use it indefinitely on my pc.

It shows a nice graph Temp x Speed and you can plot 8 points for when you want the fan to change. On Auto my 5850 always got to 70c on prolonged gaming but with the Fan Profile I never get higher than 60c, it always get's pushed back down to 57 - 59c

Soldato
With autofan on your card will reach it's temperature limits then the 100% fanspeed kicks in anyway so do not be worried so much about it.(5970s are known to hit the 80s but the heat sensor will only allow the card to reach a certain limit then keep it there due to enabling 100% fanspeed if needed....like my GTX275 limit was 90c whereas my 5870 limit is only 68c, talking in furmark here which no game reaches those temps anyway)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also my card on stock hits around 80-84oc under heavy graphics usage Crysis maxed at 1920x1080 etc... Is it worth me installing MSI afterburner or are my temps safe... I'll be serious I'm paranoid at the 80c temps would have like em in the mid 70's.... hope it don't reduce the life of the card...

Associate
Also my card on stock hits around 80-84oc under heavy graphics usage Crysis maxed at 1920x1080 etc... Is it worth me installing MSI afterburner or are my temps safe... I'll be serious I'm paranoid at the 80c temps would have like em in the mid 70's.... hope it don't reduce the life of the card...

Well I wouldn't want my card to go that high although it is safe as the card can reach higher temps than that, but obviously you don't want that.

MSI Afterburner has a lot more features like voltage change, overclocking capabilities, you can show the GPU temp in the notification area, you can half a fraps style fps number shown in full screen apps, even the temp of the card shown while gameplay. And ofcourse the fan control which is very detailed and if you want your gpu temps to stay low then afterburner is my recommendation.

Soldato

AMD have said the chips will throttle at 95c and shut down to protect themselfs at approx 120c, running 80-85c in games will do nothing to the cards, my top one had run 85c every day with no problem..you worry too much mate gpu can take far more then cpu just enjoy ;)

Back
Top Bottom