• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My New 5850 is just gathering dust :(

smr

smr

Soldato
hi all,

about a month or so ago I bought a powercolor 5850 ( one of the cards with codmw2)...

at the same sort of time, or a week before I bought an i7 930, 6gb corsair and an X58 UD3R motherboard.

about two days after plugging my 5850 in the computer crashed and upon turning it back on no signal was found. After lots of diagnostics I concluded that the motherboard was faulty so had it RMA'd and received a replacement. As soon as I got the new board I plugged it all in with the 5850 and still no signal would come on the monitor :(

I then took the 5850 out and plugged in my 4550 and the signal did come on.. this was about 2 or so weeks ago and since then the computer has been fine.

I am just wondering whether I should try the 5850 again because teh PSU I am using is a 520W Corsair Modular and some say that it hasn't sufficient power to run the card and thats why the card may have died...

I am just scared that if I plug the 5850 in again my mobo might go again.

Any help please? I would like to avoid another RMA if possible.

Associate
That powersupply can easily run that gfx card, it could easily run a 5870. I cant see it doing any harm to the motherboard just plugging it back in and trying it again. You need to make sure its broken before you RMA the 5850.

Soldato
520W corsair is easily enough to run that, as ive got the same on a 5870 with a i7 860 and 6gb ddr3 and it runs perfectly. Just make sure youve got both the pcie power connectors attached to the card and that you reset your cmos when you install the card, just incase theres a silly setting messing with the pcie slot its in.

Soldato
You RMA'd the motherboard without first trying the spare graphics card you had??

First rule of trouble shooting, run every test you can before spending any money or sending anything back!

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
You RMA'd the motherboard without first trying the spare graphics card you had??

First rule of trouble shooting, run every test you can before spending any money or sending anything back!

no lol... i tried the 4550 in before rma'ing... and still no signal... :)

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
bad news i am afraid :/

tried the 5850 and i got no signal... i cleared the cmos first as well and made sure both pcie cables were plugged into the gfx card from the psu ...

guess when the mobo died it took the gfx card with it then?

Soldato
Ahh, sounds like the case to me.

Does it work fine with the 4550 back in? Just worried that if it was the 5850 at fault the first time, it could have been what killed the first motherboard, and maybe now this one aswell...

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Ahh, sounds like the case to me.

Does it work fine with the 4550 back in? Just worried that if it was the 5850 at fault the first time, it could have been what killed the first motherboard, and maybe now this one aswell...

sorry i can't make sense of this post. yes it does work fine with the 4550 in.. (i'm on the PC now - not my laptop) just don't understand the rest of what you are saying/asking.

Soldato
I'm asking if you've checked it still works with the 4550 after trying the 5850 again?

If there was a fault with the 5850 and that was what caused the first motherboard to die, it might have killed or damaged the second motherboard.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
well i bloody hope its not damaged the second motherboard as that was my reason for starting the thread - in an attempt not too damage this motherboard as well!!

As for whether it has damaged or killed the second mobo I can safely say it hasn't killed it as I am typing from it now! I hope it hasn't damaged it lol

Back
Top Bottom