Train ticket

Associate
So i didnt have any money on me and hence asked to use a cheque, first time ever :D any way even though i did not have a cheque card (?) He printed me a ticket. Problem is that i just realised that i dont actually have any money in that account. I wont be able to transfer any for around 5 days. Am i going to get in trouble?

Man of Honour
Because that's what banks do. You'll either get charged for a declined transaction, or charged for an unauthorised overdraft. If you used a cheque guarantee card, it'll be the latter. If not, bank's discretion.

Also, if the former, then it's up to the train company to decide what - if anything - to do about it.

Man of Honour
Did you know its a criminal offence to pass a cheque for which you do not have funds?

I also find it stange that you went out without any money yet happened to have a chequebook on you..

Soldato
Right, phone your bank now and ask to extend your overdraft limit, this is probably the best solution if you can't pay funds in.

If you you don't do this either your bank will honour the cheque and you'll end up with an unauthorised overdraft (and a fee) or they'll bounce the cheque (and change you a fee), the train company will receive the cheque in the post (via their own bank) and will be able to pay it in again.

Associate
who carries around a cheque book when you knew you didnt have any money in the account to actually use it, how very odd:confused:

Man of Honour
who carries around a cheque book when you knew you didnt have any money in the account to actually use it, how very odd:confused:

My thoughts too. Very unusual. :confused:

Pretty much the only reason I ever carry a cheque book these days is when I want to use a paying-in slip from the back of the book. Haven't used a cheque in a shop for years, and you're lucky if they even accept them now.

I count my bank as being empty when its at £0 balance, not £0 remaining :p

Me too, but a lot of people don't (whether or not out of choice). Interest-free overdraft allowances really don't help in that respect.

That's not to say I've never used an overdraft - very far from it - but I consider them for emergency use only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom