Infintely Variable Geared Transmission (D-Drive)

Soldato
Wow! That's awesome, although I think I'd miss having clutch + manual shift.

The possibilities for that are endless, although they don't mention any figures in terms efficiency savings.

Also, surely if the drive can be set for maximum efficiency, it can be set for maximum performance... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Not hugely convinced, seems like it has a max(min?) ratio of 1:1, and the higher the ratio the more power you have to waste in the system. Doesn't sound like an amazing option for a performance motor.

Soldato
That bottom shaft is going to take some power (or friction component) to lock it stationary when full power is required on the output side.

I got the impression that it wouldn't need much torque to hold that shaft still? From what the presenter said anyway. Bear in mind I am quite thick so it's very possible I've misunderstood.

Soldato
Nothing new. My grandad's old Punto had a CVT, and there was the old DAF.

Edit: Just seen the video, it's an interesting diff being used backwards, you need 2 engines, the one controlling it doesn't need to be as powerful, but it wastes most power at low ratios and reverse. A massive planet gear would alleviate this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He seemed pretty confident the power inputs required for the shafts to modify the ratios would be pretty small and that a fully fledged build would start putting some figures on it.

At that point they will know whether it's better than a clutch arrangement. :)

Associate
I think one of the main benefits over a CVT is the lack of friction. This device has infinitely less wear, and could handle much higher torque than a CVT.

From the looks of things it won't be very efficent at anything other than full speed though

Soldato
The Prius already has a transmission that works in a broadly similar way. IMO the main problem is that you need something to drive the two shafts that control the "gear ratio", and whatever drives those shafts has to be infinitely speed variable itself, so this suits an electric motor. However, in the scale model with no load on the output of the gearbox there is very little torque experienced by these motors. As the load gets larger, the more torque the speed controlling motors would need to apply, so I suspect in a full size gearbox behind an internal combustion engine, these would have to be quite large motors.

Soldato
When this is scaled up to a vehicle transmission, how much power will it really absorb to be able to control the gear ratio.

It's a clever concept but it replaces the engine driven hyraulic pump that drives a conventional automatic, with another type of drive that will have to provide similar amounts of power.

Soldato
I got the impression that it wouldn't need much torque to hold that shaft still? From what the presenter said anyway. Bear in mind I am quite thick so it's very possible I've misunderstood.

I'm no expert either, so I could be wrong.

The way I see it is if the output side is getting all the power, then the ring and planet gear is driving against the sun gear, so the sun gear has to be held still against all that power.

Back
Top Bottom