HTC Desire / Xperia X10 Sat Nav Q

Soldato
Mornin'

I'm due for an upgrade soon (wifes phone ~ she nicked it off me) from a HTC HD running tom tom.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of these two Android phones and she tells me she needs:

Outlook Sync.
A good Sat Nav.
A reasonable MP3 player and easy podcast syncing.
Primary uses will be emailing (via hotmail), twitter, calls and texting.

I notice the X10 on the Orange site says it comes with Sat Nav, what is this and how good is it? And what else are my options for free/cheap Sat Nav? How good is the Google Sat Nav?

Thoughts. Ta.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Outlook Sync.

The X10 has Moxier Mail, Android 2.0 + Handsets have Exchange Sync built in as standard.

A good Sat Nav.

The X10 comes with a trail of Wisepilot, but google nav is pretty good. There are other sat navs on the Android Market

A reasonable MP3 player and easy podcast syncing.

The X10 has a much better DAC then the Desire and there are a number of podcast applications on the apps store.

Primary uses will be emailing (via hotmail), twitter, calls and texting.

Emails are no problem, I use Timescape / Twidroid for Twitter :D

Have you tryed both handsets? If not id recommend you should.

Last edited:
Associate
Desire has google's new voice guided sat nav with turn by turn but you can buy Sygic mobile 10 which is a full GPS app and you do not need internet to use it.

There are no hotmail push email service so you have to set the mail app to fetch every so often.

also desire runs andriod 2.1 and x10 1.6

desire also has flash lite and you can use it on megavideos and other sites

Soldato
When I cut across the peak district on an unknown route because my planned route had road closures, It had no idea where we where or where to go untill I was back on a route I could have got to my destination from.

We had to use maps and road signs, just like the old days.

I still haven't got the cash out to re-buy CoPilot (I had it on WinMo) but this just about swung it for me.

It should be easy to test though. GEt directions of a route, then switch off all net access and see if the step by step has the required data to get you to a destination with map coverage.

edit. Just tried my suggestion, and there is a cache of map data that it uses. how it would handle a change of plan I haven't looked at. Not oing to spend the Copilot money yet...

Last edited:
Soldato
thats not a big thing for me really. 9 times out of 10 a shut road will have a labeled diversion should be fine once your back on track.

it seems great for a free service and it can only improve. maybe they will offer downloadable maps once official apps2sd is sorted ? i imagine storage being an issue at the moment

Associate
Until you loose network coverage of drop out of 3G coverage, then it stops working well...
Actually Google navigation caches your route, so will work fine if you loose coverage, so long as you don't stray too far.

Moxia Mail on the X10 is a piece of junk, seriously. Its nowhere near good enough to us as a decent Exchange client. The one built into the Desire is a lot better. At least it provides proper notifications of new mail!
Moxia also doesn't let you integrate you Exchange contacts with the one on the handset. You still have to use Moxia's contacts app.

One final point, if your talking about Outlook sync (as opposed to Exchange) then your out of luck, Android doesn't sync with Outlook at all. There are ways around, involving getting Outlook to sync with Google services, but not sure I'd recommend them as a business solution.

DiG

DiG

Associate
thats not a big thing for me really. 9 times out of 10 a shut road will have a labeled diversion should be fine once your back on track.

it seems great for a free service and it can only improve. maybe they will offer downloadable maps once official apps2sd is sorted ? i imagine storage being an issue at the moment

Google Navigation is only going to get better, but apps2SD is not whats stopping offline navigation, only the app itself has to be stored in memory at present, it can use the SD card to store data as much as it wants

Soldato
Out of interest, how quickly would using Google maps nav, on a fairly frequent basis, eat through the 500mb - 1gb "fair usage" policy current network providers deem to be an acceptable definition of "unlimited"?

Currently I have a similar setup to the OP, but really want a Desire next month as an upgrade... but aside from CoPilot, which although reasonably priced, seems to get slated on here, there doesnt seem to be any particularly good SD based satnav software for Android...

Initially I thought I would use Google maps turn by turn, but as has been pointed out, it relies on a data connection, not exactly ideal!

Are there any alternatives or is it CoPilot, Google na, or nothing?

Soldato
One final point, if your talking about Outlook sync (as opposed to Exchange) then your out of luck, Android doesn't sync with Outlook at all. There are ways around, involving getting Outlook to sync with Google services, but not sure I'd recommend them as a business solution.

Is this true? I've get a shed load of outlook contacts and calendar info on my Desire (using HTC sync). Admittedly, it doesn't get tasks or notes though.

Soldato
OP
Is this true? I've get a shed load of outlook contacts and calendar info on my Desire (using HTC sync). Admittedly, it doesn't get tasks or notes though.

I'm in the same boat. My wife uses a hotmail account for email/contacts and her calendar synded to outlook on her laptop and if I can't set this up so it syncs automatically it's a deal breaker.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. My wife uses a hotmail account for email/contacts and her calendar synded to outlook on her laptop and if I can't set this up so it syncs automatically it's a deal breaker.

I don't know if the desire or android sync well with hotmail. Mine seems ok with Outlook. I ended up with loads of duplicates, but HTC sense lets you link duplicates to view them as a single contact. My contact info is spread across 2 outlook acounts (one is exchange) gmail, Facebook and phone info. HTC sense has brought it all together really neatly (including calendar info, though there is sometimes some duplication.)

Back
Top Bottom