Why is Windows 7 Boot up take ages on my SSD?

Associate
Hey All,

I really hope you guys can help me.. I recently built my pc..

Antec P183 Case

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz

Corsair H50-1

Corsair XMS3 6GB PC3-12800C9 DDR3

Sapphire 5770 1GB New Edition

Corsair 1000W Power Supply

4 x 1.5 TB seagate 7200 RPM 32mb cache for storage

1 x Kingston 40GB SSDNow (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit)

I also have a WD external 1TB hdd connected via usb2.0

Now the problem I am having is that whenever I start up my pc the windows screen is hanging for long periods.. sometimes 5 mins.. I can not uinderstand why..

Today I did a fresh install on my SSD and still the same what is interfearing? Can someone please help me.. this is so annoying..

Thanks..

Soldato
Latest firmware for the SSD? Try unplugging the external HDD and see if that helps. Any idea which bit of the boot-up takes the longest? I.e. the Windows 7 screens or stuff before that?

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply.. well bios screen comes and goes quick all is good but when it says starting windows and the colorful logo comes this takes ages and ages to finish and THEN the password screen comes..

Any ideas how I can install the latest firmware for the Kingston 40GB SSDNow and does this drive now support trimming in windows 7?

If this doesn't work do you think it may be the WD external 1GB hdd causing it to hang..?

Thanks

Art

Art

Associate
I've had exactly the same issue using my GA-MA790XT-UD4P and an SSD: I'd originally installed the SSD under IDE mode and things worked grand, but after switching to AHCI and making the right changes in the Windows 7 registry to make AHCI work Windows would take an eternity to boot but shut down in record time.

After Googling about a bit (e.g. see here) there were a few people complaining of the same thing on different Gigabyte boards, and as far as I know people were generally accusing Gigabyte of making a hash of the AHCI implementation in the BIOS.

I don't think Gigabyte ever fixed this for my board, but it might be worth checking the BIOS for yours, or try running the SSD in IDE mode and see if it is any better.

EDIT: Oooh, it looks like they *have* updated the AHCI/RAID ROM for my board. I may have to try this....

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Gigabyte X58-UD7 and an Intel 80GB SSD and I have had no issues at all with IDE or AHCI mode.

Booting in Safe Mode is a good way to see if something is not playing ball on booting up [Safe Mode only loads absolutely essential stuff, nothing else]. If it is still slow it would point to a possible hardware issue.

Associate
OP
btw I did the firmware update and my Kingston 40GB now supports TRIM FANTASTIC :) you should give it a try and my boot ups have decreased to less than 20 secs lol amazing :)

Back
Top Bottom