• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX280 failing. Need a new card

Associate
For the past few days I've been unable to play any game for more than 20 mins on my GTX280. During any game the screen crashes to a pink mess while the sound temporary continues for a few seconds. Can only power down the PC and reboot to get back into Windows. Then I can play for another 20 mins or so.

So I've searched this forum and google and it's suggested that the GPU is on it's way out. I've had the card for about 2 years now (maybe 18 months).

Was not planning on upgrading anytime shortly, but as it's a forced upgrade I'm wondering what card I should go for. Naturally I'd like it to be an upgrade over the GTX280. Any suggestions in the £150-£200 region that improve on my old card.

Alternatively if there is a fix for my card failure that I've missed on my search. I've tried a few possible, but failed fixes before posting here.
- Removed card
- Cleaned fans best as I could
- Tried the other slot on motherboard
- Changed to older drivers
- reinstalled Direct X runtime

I've started to enjoy playing games on my PS3 recently and as much as I'm taking a shine to it. I don't think I can live without my PC gaming for long.

My other system specs
I5 CPU
1920x1200 rez

Soldato
HD5830.

Shop around it can be found for around £160.

Will be similar to your GTX280 but the coolers on most 5830 cards are actually quite nice and quiet. Also if you clock them they scale extremely well.

Soldato
A 5850 would be a fair improvement, though it's slightly outside your budget (£220ish +), or a 5830, which fits in there ok budget wise, but won't feel like a step-up (in fact, at high(er) resolutions seems to drop behind the 280). A second-hand 5850 would be fine, there are a couple in the MM right now I think, which would fit your budget.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I think I'd rather pay the 220 for the improvement so I'd probably save for this over the 5830 if like you say there is no improvement. I guess if it's like for like it will feel like money down the drain, where as an improvement is something I would have got eventually.

So then the 5850 improves upon the GTX280

lol at that cooking your card link. I'll be sure to try that before I bin it. PC also used by the wife, so can't take that chance till I know I can afford and order a new card. Very interesting though. Reminds me of the time I wrapped my boy's 360 in towels and overheated it. Well not as extreme.

Oh by the way. I've just discovered I ordered the GTX280 from OCUK in September 2008. I'm wondering if I get any warranty. Will be a chore to root out the documents. Anyone know the score with warranty's from leadtek. Can only seem to find details that apply to US only

Edit. Okay it helps if I visit the UK site :) Though there links ain't working. Will try again tomorrow. In fact the leadtek.co.uk site is a bit of a mess. The contact us link goes to the main homepage

Last edited:
Soldato
For the past few days I've been unable to play any game for more than 20 mins on my GTX280. During any game the screen crashes to a pink mess while the sound temporary continues for a few seconds. Can only power down the PC and reboot to get back into Windows. Then I can play for another 20 mins or so.

So I've searched this forum and google and it's suggested that the GPU is on it's way out. I've had the card for about 2 years now (maybe 18 months).

Was not planning on upgrading anytime shortly, but as it's a forced upgrade I'm wondering what card I should go for. Naturally I'd like it to be an upgrade over the GTX280. Any suggestions in the £150-£200 region that improve on my old card.

Alternatively if there is a fix for my card failure that I've missed on my search. I've tried a few possible, but failed fixes before posting here.
- Removed card
- Cleaned fans best as I could
- Tried the other slot on motherboard
- Changed to older drivers
- reinstalled Direct X runtime

I've started to enjoy playing games on my PS3 recently and as much as I'm taking a shine to it. I don't think I can live without my PC gaming for long.

My other system specs
I5 CPU
1920x1200 rez

Are you sure its not a sound card/driver issue ?

(Dont see how a 5830 is a big enough improvement over a GTX 280 more like a near replacement ?)

Soldato
Are you sure its not a sound card/driver issue ?

(Dont see how a 5830 is a big enough improvement over a GTX 280 more like a near replacement ?)

5830 is the cheapest direct replacement pretty much.

With ocing it should overtake the 280 quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom