Starcraft2 - Learning curve ?

Man of Honour
I've had a 'flick' through the 56 page thread - so please don't jump on me.

The more i looked through it, the more ( and more ! ) names for 'things' cropped up.

Is it a complicated game, how long would it take to get a playable grasp of it ?

Both Eve online ( Trial ) and X3 have been started then never looked at again due to the learning curve.

Is SC2 similar, as it looks great.

Cheers for any replies :)

Soldato
I've jumped in for one time for about 30 minutes and it looks much easier than SC1.

Maybe a couple more 'useful' activated unit abilities to exploit but so far Terran has had a much better time with supply (upgrades form Command centre) and getting to battlevruisers for example was much quicker than I would normally expect.

Getting to grips with units will be pretty straightforward but knowing when to use them, where and in how many numbers will just take time.

Put it this way, there will always be a Korean who will have better APM, build order and generally hand your ass to you :D

Associate
I never really played the original Starcraft, but have a decent amount of experience from other RTS games. So far, I haven't had that much trouble with SC2. Sure, I'll get completely pounded to the ground if I ever get matched up with an actual good player, but so far I've had a good amount of success against the lower level competition. The great thing is that you learn something from every game, so getting the basics takes literally about an hour per race. That's not a whole lot, especially when you're likely having fun even during that learning period. Just reading the tooltips and thinking logically will take you far.

The best way to put it would probably be that it's easy to learn, really tough to master. Perfect.

Soldato
...The best way to put it would probably be that it's easy to learn, really tough to master. Perfect.

Much truth here.

My suggestion if you want to get 'good fast', is pick a race that you like and start working with it. Post in our thread here when you have trouble, you'll get a lot of decent advice. Otherwise, just keep playing.

Blizzard have constructed what i think is actually a very good ranking system. So if you lose a lot of games, don't get down. You will end up facing people at your own skill level thanks to the points system. Ultimately it doesnt have to be a game all about being amazing. It is supposed to be fun and hopefully you will end up enjoying it. Just stick with it :D

Soldato
Afaik in the retail game there will be missions to help prepare you for online play.
So as mentioned should be easy to pick up but hard to master :)

Associate
The matching system is what can bring this game to life for extremely crappy yet enthusiastic RTS players like me. I've always played against AI or with a friend or two against AI. I absolutely hate micro-managing and prefer building up defences. So you can guess online RTS gaming has been a big no-no for me for years and years but with SC2 and the ranking/matching system, I might actually end up playing mostly people at my level. Or in other words, I might, for the first time ever, actually end up playing an RTS online :)

SC2 definitely follows the easy to learn, hard to master route but even if you knew everything about the game, you wouldn't have any success unless you really learn to micro-manage units. Which is something I just will never do. But as I said, I might actually still be able to enjoy this one online.

Associate
Just downloading the beta myself at the moment, i kinda know im going to get pounded but looking forward to it none the less.

I would suggest looking at some of the VOD's on TeamLiquid or Youtube, i will be doing the same once i learn the basics.

Soldato
couldnt help you there :(

I remember when downloading SC2 originally on the downloader though, the down speed was terrible. I turned off p2p and the rate jumped to saturate my connection... So would be interesting if you can figure out how but might not help.

Soldato
couldnt help you there :(

I remember when downloading SC2 originally on the downloader though, the down speed was terrible. I turned off p2p and the rate jumped to saturate my connection... So would be interesting if you can figure out how but might not help.

its ok i got all the updates now, played the game but dont think ill be playing this much lol :D

anyway, i disabled p2p on the 'main downloader' and im guessing this is why its disabled in the patcher, not sure if p2p would have helped as i found it a lot faster without on the main downloader but the patching was slow (about 1 - 2 mbit) :( i think the only way to enable it is to activate it in the main downloader

Associate
Im finding the beta takes a lot of getting used to and has a pretty harsh learning curve. Once the games properly released it should be a lot easier since you have the singleplayer campaign to teach you how to play (at least for terran anyway) and also cpu will be available to practice against.

At the moment you might wanna try playing against the very easy cpu (the only difficulty available atm, go on custom game) so you can try out building all the units.

During the initial skill assessment games there seemed to be a VERY wide level of skill with some people struggling to build any units and others completely raping me.

Permabanned
Im finding the beta takes a lot of getting used to and has a pretty harsh learning curve. Once the games properly released it should be a lot easier since you have the singleplayer campaign to teach you how to play (at least for terran anyway) and also cpu will be available to practice against.

At the moment you might wanna try playing against the very easy cpu (the only difficulty available atm, go on custom game) so you can try out building all the units.

During the initial skill assessment games there seemed to be a VERY wide level of skill with some people struggling to build any units and others completely raping me.

where can i get the beta?

Back
Top Bottom