BT Infinity

Associate
My friend is thinking of moving to the BT Infinity fibre service. His main request is low pings for online gaming. BT have told him he should get 20meg download at his home but the question is will the pings be low ? He is currently on o2 llu service but only recieves 1.5-2 meg with a ping of around 25ms.

Soldato
My friend is thinking of moving to the BT Infinity fibre service. His main request is low pings for online gaming. BT have told him he should get 20meg download at his home but the question is will the pings be low ? He is currently on o2 llu service but only recieves 1.5-2 meg with a ping of around 25ms.

Should be better I would have thought

Soldato
I'd say his Pings will go down, around 5-10ms to decent servers.
I have a mate on DSL right next to an exchange and he gets 5ms pings to London game servers.

Man of Honour
If implemented properly (a big if!) latency should be lower with fibre. With DSL very few people can get below ~10ms (some in London on the likes of Be can), I'm hoping BT infinity with give sub-5ms (obviously higher depending on location).

No cable or ADSL2+ here so desperately hoping it gets rolled out here, they would cleanup for sure as it's affluent area populated by young adults.

Associate
OP
Just to update this thread.
My mate got BT Infinity installed today and first impressions seem good. Download speeds have ranged from 17 to 30 meg and pings are 10ms. This is a nice increase on his previous isp which was o2 llu, he only got 1.5 meg and 40ms pings on that service.

Soldato

It's true. Bandwidth alone won't make much difference - you'd see the same ping times on a 2mbit cable connection as you would on a 20mbit cable connection for example. There are many other factors that can affect it however, such as interleaved ADSL and routing, as mentioned already.

Of course, not that ping is a reliable performance measurement tool anyway..

Back
Top Bottom