How would I go about adding more RAM

Associate
Safe to add more RAM?

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about adding RAM.

I bought an i3 bundle from OCUK and I'm looking to add more RAM to it since it only comes with 4GB and some of that is being eaten by the IGP which you can't disable on the Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H motherboard.

I have the Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit.

Now the problem is, I have no clue about memory timings etc, so would I be able to buy another of the above for a total of 8GB and still run the stable OCUK, OC?

CPU-Z%20.png

CPU-Z%20.png

CPU-Z%20.png

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Associate
If you add more RAM then your overclock will more than likely need tweaking.

Its a shame you cannot disable the onboard chip. Maybe a future BIOS update will fix it..

Edit: Just looked at your pics & is your RAM actually running at full speed? CPU-Z should read it as 800MHZ 9-9-9-24 but it shows 9-9-9-28 764MHZ...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You may have to drop the OC as noted as 4 more modules will double the load on the memory controller. If you add memory , you need to add the EXACT memory you already have.

Man of Honour
Adding memory doubles the load on your memory controller. The answers you have been given are accurate and they cannot be more specific. Put simply, some boards+ memory controllers might be able to run 4 modules at 1600 where others can't. It's totally dependent upon your specific hardware. So, the ONLY way to know is for you to install the memory and test it.

FYI, you can most likely keep the same CPU OC and just lower your memory frequency by using the lower memory divider. This is not a bad choice if you need 8GB of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom