• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty card?

Associate
Hi, wondering if you can help me.

I've currently got a Connect 3d Radeon x1900 512MB which I bought about 4yrs ago. And have been noticing artifacts while playing games. I actually think it started last year since I noticed strange artifacts on my desktop appearing now again, didn't think much of it until I started playing some games again a few weeks ago.
Usually results in large jaggy objects appearing in the scenery, lines or large holes in the wall surfaces etc. First noticed it in game while playing Deus Ex which is a 10 year old game, and it also happens with more recent games like Quake 4 and Prey. I also noticed that it blows hot air out the vented backplate while gaming, temps usually rises from around 47C idle to 70C+. I've reverted to older drivers but still having the same problem, I also did a reinstall of Windows 7 64bit, again still no difference.

Any idea if the card is dying or if it's a driver problem?

Rest of specs are: Core2Duo E6300, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 mobo, 4gb Corsair ram, Akasa 500W GreenPower PSU. Got plenty case fans in there too.

Sorry if it's a bit long winded, lol.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Artifacts usually mean the card is on its way out. Are you getting any artifacts in the bios?

Sorry, are you talking about when the PC is booting up? I havn't heard any warning beeps or seen any errors, though I'm not sure if I have a setting for that kind of thing switched on apart from the CPU temp warning.

Soldato
Sorry, are you talking about when the PC is booting up? I havn't heard any warning beeps or seen any errors, though I'm not sure if I have a setting for that kind of thing switched on apart from the CPU temp warning.

yes. i had a 9600gt and that would show squares in the bios

Associate
OP
Ok I've tried 3 different drivers. The latest ones, also the 9.11s and the 8.7s and still having problems. Instead of objects appearing I'm now getting a flickering screen with the 8.7s when loading up Quake 4, doesn't happen on the desktop though. NOLF 2 also stutters quite a bit on certain areas even though it's an old game.

Associate
I would agree card is on the way out m8 but at least you could get a decent improvement in perfomrance over that card for not a lot of money now :).

Associate
OP
Ok, any cards you would recommend? I can't spend too much, probably £140 at the most if necessary, though is there something that would give me a decent jump for say around a £100? I'd like to play some more recent games, I also have a copy of STALKER which I'd like to play with the upgrade patch.

Also would I getting any bottleneck with any card within the price range? I mentioned my spec in my OP.

Thanks.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
well a HD5770 would be nice that power supply should be able to handle it as well, althrough you can get a HD4890/70 in that budget althrough I m not sure your powersupply will be happy about it

Associate
OP
Ok I think I'll just go for an HD5770 for an extra £30 or so if I get decent future proofing out of it.

Are those Vapor-X ones worth the extra £25 compared to the Sapphire HD5770 card that's being sold here for £115 at the moment?

Associate
I doubt your going to massively stress it if you have been happy with the card you have had so i would save the £25 for a new game or something and just get the normal version :).

Back
Top Bottom