advice on mp3 players

Associate
was thinking of investing in a new mp3, i got gifted a 32gb ipod touch which was fun from its host of applications, web browsing and the convnience of digital music and video on demand to download but im looking for somthing a bit more serious for my music.

was lookin at either cowon s9 or the new j3 or either getting a zen or zune hd?

any advice or tips? reason being i found a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet deal on a pair of shure se530s for £75 and need a player to give them justice

AMG

AMG

Soldato
you could get the X FI2 but its not the best PMP (it is classed as that)

its great for its price through I got my mum one althrough my sister nicks it often enough :p

have you ever considered a samsung P3?

no point in getting a zuneHD as the software don't work outside the USA yet. I did notice there was a preview on cnetuk for that

the best options you got is the S9, X1050(sony walkman) or the P3....no idea what J3 is give us a moment ;p ah I see its a cowon

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the j3 is new from cowon, and ive heard they are the preferred choice of a many many audiophiles. it supports an amoled screen and a decent interface and style...but i'd rather have the humble, innocent view of us forum members at ocuk

Soldato
im sounding like a fanboy(and at forty something im no boy) these days but sflo2 all the way ,twin wolfson dacs and a dedicated line out , having listened to everything else (i had a cowon d2 and have a nano plus a 5.5g classic) this blows them away ,its the dacs i think,the seperation is awesome so complex music never sounds messy or muddy, i use the line out with an amp but the sound im getting is amazing , the instruments float around my head in thier own space with their own texture and timbre never distorting other sounds, the soundstage is wide but not too wide as to lose detail, all this for seventy quid (plus £120 for the ultrasone hfi780s)

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I m still looking for one too, just can't make up my mind oh well my road bike comes first as I want new wheels :p

I ll take a look at the J3 myself

Soldato
For sound quality, I'd have gone for the Sony X1060 that I have, but they're not selling them anymore, so I'd go the Cowon route, or the newly released S:flo2 has been getting very good reviews on Head.fi and is a fair bit cheaper as well.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I m sort of kicking myself for not getting the walkman X (16Gb) when I seen it at the purples for £100, I didn't have enough moneys ethoir :(

*edit* the J3 looks very very nice

C64

C64

Soldato
I'd consider a portable headphone amp even the cheapo e5 amp/glorified volume booster makes all my earphones sound so much better.

Punchier meatier bass cleaner mids sharper treble, no player can do any earphones justice from what I have heard you need some form of headphone amp.

A sansa clip plus and a portable headphone amp of some sort would be a good buy.

Soldato
I'd consider a portable headphone amp even the cheapo e5 amp/glorified volume booster makes all my earphones sound so much better.

Punchier meatier bass cleaner mids sharper treble, no player can do any earphones justice from what I have heard you need some form of headphone amp.

A sansa clip plus and a portable headphone amp of some sort would be a good buy.

I'm afraid you're wrong mate, I've got a few top end earphones and my Sony copes with all of them easily, as would any decent mp3 player, so no need for a headphone amp really, just get a good player and you're fine.

C64

C64

Soldato
I'm afraid you're wrong mate, I've got a few top end earphones and my Sony copes with all of them easily, as would any decent mp3 player, so no need for a headphone amp really, just get a good player and you're fine.

Yes but have you heard them through an amp connected to the mp3 player ?
The sansa clip is considered one of the best sounding players around but for me the sound quality is leaps and bounds better it's like night and day using an e5 amp and not using it.

Soldato
Yes but have you heard them through an amp connected to the mp3 player ?
The sansa clip is considered one of the best sounding players around but for me the sound quality is leaps and bounds better it's like night and day using an e5 amp and not using it.

He's got his hands on a set of top tier phones, which should be heard with a top tier source, to bring the best out of them, like the Cowon, S:flo2 or Sony X series, if he can get his hands on them. They are built to drive any IEM with ease.

C64

C64

Soldato
Yea the clip is said to drive most with ease even goldring ns1000 but for me the e5 makes them sound leaps and bounds better through the clip.Just saying don't knock it until you have tried it, I did and will never go back to using an mp3 player without some form of headphone amp.

Back
Top Bottom