MCITP: Enterprise Admin - anyone have this?

Soldato
I'm thinking of studying the Enterprise Admin cert, consisting of:

70-640: TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
70-642: TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure
70-643: TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure
70-647: Pro: Enterprise Administrator: Windows Server 2008
70-680: TS: Configuring Windows 7

Just wondering if anyone here has done the same and if do, would you recommend a particular (logical) order to study them in?

Thanks!

Soldato
I'm not an MCITP yet, but I am a triple MCSE (NT, 2000 & 2003)

Had I not taken upgrade routes for 2000 & 2003 I would have taken the client exam first (in this case Windows 7) as you'll generally have more exposure to it running it at home over 2008 server.

Then I'll be doing the others in the order shown. 640, 642, 643 then 647.

Soldato
OP
Hmm well I have "users" experience of Windows 7 - nothing in-depth though - pretty much the same experience I have with Server 2008/AD.

I wonder if the course numbers tallying up with the order in which to study them, is a coincidence :D (I'm thinking yes!)

Soldato
Users experience is what most people have with Windows 7, and it's usually a damn sight more than they have with server products.

I don't think it's co-incidence as it's a logical way to study them - ie learn AD and NI before learning the enterprise admin stuff as it'll make more sense that way around

Associate
I completed my MCITP:EA on friday.
The order I did the exams was: 70-680, 70-640, 70-643, 70-647.

Once you have comepleted the first 4, the 7-647 is just recap/design, so should be fairly straightforward.

Soldato
OP
I completed my MCITP:EA on friday.
The order I did the exams was: 70-680, 70-640, 70-643, 70-647.

Once you have comepleted the first 4, the 7-647 is just recap/design, so should be fairly straightforward.

I take it you also did the 70-642 exam?

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I took 70-642 after 083-640 (you can't take 70-640 in the UK anymore!). It's the same but has some simulation labs.

Ah right yeah, just Googled it. Cool stuff (although people experiencing severe lag and crashes mid-exam.... is a bit scary lol)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Sorry, I took 70-642 after 083-640 (you can't take 70-640 in the UK anymore!). It's the same but has some simulation labs.

:eek::confused:

I've been doing the Microsoft Labs for 70-640 for the past 8 weeks at a night class got me a little worried now.

Thought I'd search the forums before starting a new thread..

My last class is this thursday and exam following week.

When I signed up to the course (work are paying) we got Measureup.com test licenses, they only last for 30 days so only just registered in case I fail I get longer study period if that makes sense.

After first exam in study mode and going through the answers as I go on I found most of my mistakes were not reading through the questions properly and rechecking my answers.

On Messureup it say's I need to get 80% to pass but how does all that work now with the Simulations?

How is the scoring devided between questions and simulations?

Cheers for any help
Zaf,

Edit\

Just read somewhere as of 02/06/2010 they have gone back to using 70-640 in the UK do to all the carshes etc

Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing

Last edited:
Soldato
The simulations are weighted I have no idea though. Same as the questions it's not a simple question of getting 70 out of 100 (700 points is the pass mark - which is basically 70% hence why Measureup tries to get you to 80% so you don't fail).

Just because you may know an operating system does not prepare you for Microsoft's way of questioning. The answers can be very simple and you may do stuff in real-life which isn't the official Microsoft way of doing things (i.e. on Server 2008 I do stuff like start / run / dsa.msc where as MS may say you go to Start then Administrative Tools - poor example but you get the idea).

I remember when I did the 70-290 (I think) and that kept crashing the examiners said they had weighted the questions which didn't work down to 1 point so the rest of the questions were graded higher - it was a very stressful exam (2 crashes, 2 simulators which you couldn't complete, I could only park for 2 hours and had no more change on me, etc.) I did pass but with 700 - and I wouldn't want anyone to go through that.

Currently I am a MCSE 2003 and looking to do the exams in the next couple of months to upgrade. Just had it authorised by work and I'm looking to start this weekend.

M.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Thanks for the reply M4cc45

Just sat on my course going through my Labs now, just to confirm as of this week 83-640 has been scrapped so No simulations and only multiple choice. Still not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

It's my Birthday next week so might book in then hopefully it will bring me some luck :p

Soldato
OP
you may do stuff in real-life which isn't the official Microsoft way of doing things (i.e. on Server 2008 I do stuff like start / run / dsa.msc where as MS may say you go to Start then Administrative Tools - poor example but you get the idea).

M.

I think as long as you get the task done (and don't blatantly bodge it) I don't think you get marked on that sort of thing really.

Soldato
I think as long as you get the task done (and don't blatantly bodge it) I don't think you get marked on that sort of thing really.

I was more referring on the multiple choice questions rather than the simultion. The simulations are very forgiving (i.e. if you are meant to do it via the control panel then it won't let you do start / run - well that was a while ago they may have changed it but I haven't read anything to the contrary). It was more like this:

Q. How do you add a new user
a. Click Start / Control Panel / Admin Tools / Users and Computers / Right click and Add User
b. Click Start / Click Run / Type dsa.msc / Right click and Add User

Both technically correct but normally you go the GUI way. It's a very bad example but you'll understand more when you go into the exam.

I'd also study them in order because of the cross over. You'll get more out of it that way (i.e. Windows 7 includes a bit about domains then you do the server exams so more domains so it's a nice cross-over - again I may not make much sense but you'll understand more once you've done it!). One very last bit of advice. Do not think that because you know an OS inside out you know how to answer MS questions - please, please, please have a look on MS websites and have a look at there 'test' questions on there.

M.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I'm only doing self-study, so I'm still studying towards the first module (Active Directory). Haven't got out of my depth yet :D

I kept saying I was doing self-study for 3 years :p

Signing up to these courses at a local school has really git me motivated! Got my first exam this Wednesday and start the next course on Thursday for 6 Weeks

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I failed 70-640 today got 625/1000 needed to get 700 to pass, if the exams are marked in a traditional sense (which I'm sure there not) I was only 3 questions off passing :(

It was CAs that really let me down from looking at the Bars afterwards, atleast I've got a free resit and know what areas to concentrate my study on now.

Soldato
Just passed 70-640 this afternoon with 900/1000. Quite a few questions on AD CS, DNS and groups.

It's been 9 years and 3 weeks since I did my last MS exam :S

Soldato
I passed my resit yesterday got 950/1000 :)

One down two to go

Out of interest, other than the self paced book/cd-rom what other resources did you use?

I have a fair few test theory questions and the CBT nugget videos for the 70-640.

I am up to about chapter 10 but then stopped for a few months because I moved house,etc. Gotta start re-learning I think.

Anything to watch out for on this particular exam?

Back
Top Bottom