System advice needed - advice welcome :)

Associate
Right - please be gentle.

It's time again to pull myself back out from the dark ages and build a new system. My present SLi rig is on its last legs - see sig, and I have the habit of speccing a component list thats generally very high, then making it last as long as possible - i.e i'm not a habitual builder, although I do build systems and have done for years, for other people.

Also, I don't follow the "what's in/ cutting edge" trends, so tend to miss out on evolutionary jumps in processors & gfx cards etc.

The brief though, is to be able to push my trusty Dell 30" to the Pepsi max on all the latest games that will allow it.

I have a certain budget however, and have compiled a hardware list as follows -

Ocuk mb bundle -
Krypton Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked Bundle
Krypton Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked Bundle
This will be spec'ed with the Corsair H50-1 water cooler. Also asked for the Asus board, as I have used them for years, and they have generally been good, having only had one failure in the many systems that I have used them in.

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048MB x 2
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-221-SP

I currently have a Tagan 1300watt PSU in my current system, as well as my faithful Dell 3007 30" monitor, which I bought on the Members Mart here some years ago.

I'm also considering either some form of SSD (Intel) OR WD 2TB Blacks in raid 0.

The Coolermaster server case is over 2 feet long, and although not cheap, I knew it would serve me well, as I like a box that can provide a little internal real estate - it could easily handle the length of two 5970's. The Tagan @ 1300watts, will be able to provide the juice for the system to breathe, and the 3007 Dell is crying out for some brute force to deliver the visuals.

Any comments, critisicms or advice, from the young & more knowledgeable on here would be more than welcome.

It was a lot simpler when I bought my ZX81 in WHSmiths, back in 1982!

Many thanks in advance -

Jerry

Caporegime
well it will certainly give you a MASSIVE performance jump!!

also your old cpu is worth a good amount on fleebay, plus sell all the other parts, and your upgrade cost will be a bit easier

Back
Top Bottom