i7 920 - hit a wall

Associate
OP
HT isn't useful to me as most stuff i use isn't designed with 8 cores iuun mind so it doesnt utilise them any more than just having the quad cores and why reduce the multiplier and increase bclk when im on 3.5GHz with no problems at the moment. Taking off HT which i dont need has dropped my temps by around 6C and for something i would hardly use it just can tbe justified having it on.

Associate
If the rig is mostly used for gaming -and- you manage to achieve a reasonable clocking gain by getting rid of HT, imo it's totally justified.

That totally nulifies the point of having an i7 chip.

True enough, but once you actually have it, the point becomes moot.

- Ordokai

Soldato
That sounds high for 3.6ghz. Mine does 3.8 with 1.18v and it's by no means a stunning chip.

Gotta take into account I don't know how his chip runs without using it myself. That is just a template setting that I would use and then tweak accordingly. I've clocked to 4GHz using 1.20V before on a 920, doesn't mean everyones chip will do it.

Soldato
My chip is hard pressed to go 4Ghz at any less than 1.33, though my VTT is only 1.22 so I guess if I bumped it up I could lower the Vcore a bit, but I don't want to push it hard. Before when I first clocked it I had my VTT at a staggering 1.5 to keep it stable, that was 200x20, at 191x21 it's a tad cooler and takes a lot less V to keep it stable.

36-37c idle on air.

Soldato
Gotta take into account I don't know how his chip runs without using it myself. That is just a template setting that I would use and then tweak accordingly. I've clocked to 4GHz using 1.20V before on a 920, doesn't mean everyones chip will do it.

Agreed, I'm merely pointing out that it's pretty conservative so he knows he can tweak it down. I've yet to see a 920 that needs 1.3v to be stable at 3.6ghz.

Associate
OP
hehe, completely crashed at 3.57Ghz (21 x 156) at Vcore 1.32V set it to last know best clock and it still wont POST. Did a CMOS clear and started agai. This is starting to get annoying =)

Soldato
What are you RAM settings with this 3.57GHz configuration (please include Voltage, timings and frequency)?

Also, what are the exact model names/numbers of your 4 RAM sticks? Which RAM slots did you put them in?

Soldato
Isn't that RAM rated to 1066MHz? So running them at 1333MHz would be overclocking them and could be the reason for your problems. If I were you, i'd try running the RAM at 1066MHz, CL7, 1.5v and see how it goes.

You are quite correct to run them at 1.5V, that seems to be their specified voltage.

If I were you, i'd try running the RAM at 1066MHz, CL7, 1.5v and see how it goes.

Associate
OP
Isn't that RAM rated to 1066MHz? So running them at 1333MHz would be overclocking them and could be the reason for your problems. If I were you, i'd try running the RAM at 1066MHz, CL7, 1.5v and see how it goes.

You are quite correct to run them at 1.5V, that seems to be their specified voltage.

If I were you, i'd try running the RAM at 1066MHz, CL7, 1.5v and see how it goes.

yup, tried this. the clock that just failed was on as slow as possible around 990 MHz and it still crased, im starting to think its the QPI but i cant see how i can go about testing this

Associate
OP
managed to check most areas and i have ruled out the RAM entirely. Just wondering if anyone who has a similar system (ie a ud5 and i7 920) could post there stats so i can have something to work on.

Again id like to thank everyone for there help so far.

Back
Top Bottom