CPR - It could save a life. With a difference.

Don
It's combined data i believe

edit: and I don't recall what measure of survivability was measured (ie ROSC, survival to hospital admission or discharge, etc)
I think the figure I was given (1 in 10000 or 40000 can't remember but it was that sort of ballpark) was for CPR only restarting peoples hearts. It was in response to depictions of CPR on TV where (outside of hospital dramas) they rarely show defibrilation occurring but merely CPR is enough to bring them round - drownings seem the favourite, CPR then they come round and "spew" up water from their lungs. The main point being that CPR isn't a fix but merely the means of keeping the victim alive long enough for them to receive defib treatment. From the point of view of being in a remote area do you start with the prospect that there's no hope of defibrilation in a realistic time frame, or face the prospect of having to give up after 20mins because your too tired to continue. I think the point our tutor was trying to make is to make an informed choice before you start CPR, as the personal consequences for someone that starts CPR and then has to stop because they run out of steam has the potential to last for the rest of their lives.

Soldato
It's combined data i believe

edit: and I don't recall what measure of survivability was measured (ie ROSC, survival to hospital admission or discharge, etc)

The Ambulance Service record as ROSCs.. not sure about Hospitals.

(For those that wonder what ROSC is its an Accronym for Return of Spontaneous Circulation)

Soldato
Just hope you don't get what a Cadet Instructor of mine did, he performed CPR on a guy in the middle of the street until an ambulance arrived, they said he saved the guys life but managed to crack a ribs in the process.

Next week the guy tried to sue him. Unsuccessfully I should add but still.

Haha! He obviously didn't want to be alive then

Associate
CPR outside of a hospital setting has a low survival rate
even in hospital, if you have CPR done to you there is a 80-90% chance you wont leave alive
btw rescue breaths are no longer required, i think a japanese study showed it did not improve overall survival

Caporegime
isn't it 1 in 14,000 people actually survive having a heart attack and being brought back by CPR. ie to go home and live on rather than wake up in the hosp for 4 hours then die again.

but no one knows that.

The fit lass at the bar only knows you started the old guys heart working again then the ambulance men took him away to live happily ever after.

As far as she's concerned you're a life saving hero :p

Soldato
Jokester: re CPR only resus, I'd say those figures look like a pretty good estimate, though I'm not aware of any concrete evidence either way - usually because there will be some other intervention (ie drugs or defib), or because cardiac arrest wasn't confirmed before commencing CPR, so they could have just fainted

CPR outside of a hospital setting has a low survival rate
even in hospital, if you have CPR done to you there is a 80-90% chance you wont leave alive
btw rescue breaths are no longer required, i think a japanese study showed it did not improve overall survival

Out of hospital arrests have higher survival rates (usually because the people are otherwise relatively well, and there is a higher chance of VF/VT - ie shockable - rhythms).

Back
Top Bottom