Nimrod MR2 and VC-10s at Bruntingthorpe

Associate
I spent Thursday at Bruntingthrope and caught up with newly arrived Nimrod MR2 and the the VC-10s that are being stripped for spares for the rest of the VC-10 fleet.

As always, the full post is on my website... http://www.fast-air.co.uk/Bruntingthorpe-100513.htm

I'd like to also take this chance to remind people that the Cold War Jets Open Day is on the 30th May 2010 and you will see the Nimrod fast taxi along with a number of other aircraft such as the Lightning, Victor, Comet, Canberra and the Buccaneer. Well worth the visit! Details at the end of the post on my site, click the link above.

Nimrod-MR2-XV226-photo-3.jpg

Nimrod-MR2-XV226-photo-1.jpg

VC-10-C1K-XV109-photo-2.jpg

VC-10-C1K-XR807-photo-1.jpg

VC-10-C1K-XR807-photo-2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Associate
OP
Thanks!

You're most welcome, happy to help.

Sadly since it was in the week most of the teams / groups weren't around so the aircraft were covered up to protect them from the elements. I also spent most of my time waiting for a gap in the cloud so I could get the Nimrod in the sun! :D

Hope the weather plays ball for the Open Day, there really isn't anything else like it in the UK.

Associate
OP
Absolutely, here is one of my other sites.....

http://www.cottesmore-ag.com/

It's an aviation guide to Cottesmore. Bit of a rush job but it should guide you in the right direction.

Cottemore is relatively busy at the moment, flying mostly between 10am and 6pm. Most importantly make sure the wind direction is westerly as that will put runway 22 in use. The other runway is near impossible to get any good photos from.

You might want to consider ear plugs as well, the Harrier is very loud when in the hover and they do at times hold at the threshold on runway 22.

Associate
OP
thanks for the info Gord. If runway 22 wasn't in use on that day, are there any other stations nearby that would offer good pickings?

Waddington and Cottesmore require the same wind direction.

Cranwell can be worked with the other direction but it's not a great place for photography.

Conningsby would be your best bet as it can be worked for both ends.

That Open Day sounds like an awesome idea.

Will see if my Dad fancies it :)

Do it! Seeing this classic aircraft flying down the runway beats walking around a museum!

Soldato
Waddington and Cottesmore require the same wind direction.

Cranwell can be worked with the other direction but it's not a great place for photography.

Conningsby would be your best bet as it can be worked for both ends.

Do it! Seeing this classic aircraft flying down the runway beats walking around a museum!

Gord, is my 200mm lens going to be good enough for Brunters?

Associate
OP
Gord, is my 200mm lens going to be good enough for Brunters?

I've not shot from the crowd line before, managed to get air side access, but I would expect 200mm would be fine.

Here is a shot from 2007 where you can see the crowd line and how close the LPG Lightning is. From my point on the edge of the runway I was shooting 105mm so 200mm on the crowd line should easily be enough.

Fast-AirCoUk-LPG-2007.jpg

Man of Honour
Bruntingthorpe is a fantastic place. Sadly can't make the CWJ day this year. :(
The work that goes into making and keeping those aircraft running is truly amazing. When you look at how the Canberra they have there was pretty much a stripped airframe and how it looks and runs now.

I always try to take cake and biscuits to the LPG guys there - the photos of the progress on their QRA sheds look fantastic. So close to being done.

You can at times be around 30ft from the aircraft when they start up - I would strongly recommend good ear protection for the Lightnings. 2 Avons on full burn 30ft away is on the noisy side. ;)

Soldato
Nice photos. Sounds like a good day out as well. 100miles away.... hmmm how can i get that past the misses. If I say we're going to the shops she might get a bit suspicous after the first hour or so....!

Associate
Just joined the site as I randomly came across this thread and it mixes two of my interests - computers and aviation...:D

I was actually looking for any info people may have put up about the Nimrod at Bruntingthorpe as I'm invloved with it's upkeep. I served on them for 7 1/2 years as a technician and although I'm now on TriStars I wanted to keep my hand in with them as I know the Nimrod very well.

As you may also know it's being run down the runway on the open day on May 30th, and as such we took her for a spin last tuesday to make sure she was happy and the good news is that everything worked - including the conditioning which was badly needed as it wasn't a cold day...

I have the honour of sitting in the engineers seat and operating the panel and as such get the third best seat in the house...:D

I'm very much looking forward to the open day, and the pictures and videos people will be taking of XV226 to display on here...

See some of you there...

Penfold

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Welcome aboard Penfold!

I was made aware of the fast taxi run on Tue on my visit on the previous Thu, good to hear it went well.

I'm going to be at the open day, looking forward to seeing XV226 do it's run. Hopefully have a good set of photos to share with you!

Associate
Nice set of photos, Gord. Really jealous about you seeing the Lightning flying and taking off so close. I've always wanted to see one of these flying as I know it won't disappoint on bringing some pleasing levels of thunder. :D

Back
Top Bottom