LOST..... How do you think it will end

Soldato
it makes absolutely zero sense how some of the characters are at the church at the end and others are not. Boone as prime example and Shannon (Only due to the tie-in with Sayid) to a lesser extent being there, yet Daniel, Richard, Miles and least of all Michael and the once highly important Walt (Remember him..???) maybe even Frank being there or even Eko would have made more sense than Boone.

I interpreted the sideways timeline as being a place that's "made up" - a sort of replication of the world, except one where the losties are happy. Therefore nothing in that world is real, except for the losties themselves. It was a place made solely for the flawed characters, so that once they all in the real world had died they could see what a happy life they could lead.

Characters that were significant to the losties lives were also there; some of them were a part of this replicated, fake world, and some were real (to an extent) but were not ready (as Hurley says) to "move on".

Basically the sideways timeline is similar to the Matrix. A fake world; certain characters realise that they are in purgatory (or a step in between Earth and the afterlife/Heaven) and go on to help others realise this.

That's just my interpretation as I can best describe it though.

Caporegime
How do we know the sideways time line couldn't have been something different? After they've all done their 'duty', served their time on the island and then died, they have been given another chance to live their life without the plane crash, but with some memories of it to keep them connected.

Associate
Cant understand why the island let Kate and Sawyer leave the island in the end.....

My guess is, because it was now protected again with a new leader. It/Jacob was essentially done with them. Remember it was actually Jacob that brought them to the Island in the first place. On the flip side that plane may have crashed seconds later or they may have left and lived out the rest of their lives.

Soldato
This wasn't what I thought it was going to be, first of all, I think anyone demanding answers or resolution can't see the forest for the trees and should either watch it again or give up altogether.

My take on what I saw; The show is macroscopically about humanities own belief in itself, microscopically about the relationships and journeys individuals take together.

The island IS mankind, a symbolic representation of it of course, with the light being the human spirit. The struggle between Jacob & the MiB spelt this out to us a season ago with season six essentially being a continuation of that metaphor, the significance of the light being extinguished in order to fight evil but being reignited shows that no matter what happens, no matter how dark times get, it is never too late for the human spirit to be reborn. This is what was meant by Jacob's insistence that everyone would die should MiB escape the island, he would be destroying the human spirit letting evil preside over human actions.

The individual stories I think revealed the true meaning behind the name; we are all LOST, all of us will die never having found any real answers to our most important questions regardless of whatever false ideals or beliefs we may have adopted to comfort ourselves or how vehemently we adhere to them. They are all wrong. We are all just wandering through our short lives towards death and the only thing of any real importance on that journey are the people we meet, spend time with, love.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the story, I loved the twists, turns, mysteries, the characters... but having watched the finale, I don't think it was ever about any of that.

There is a lot to mull over, that was my initial reaction to the finale, no idea where I will be on this in the weeks / months to come, but LOST was most definitely the greatest story ever told and I will miss it dearly :(

Associate
So basically,

1. Jacob was the God Figure and the MiB was the Evil.
2. Island was real and everything that happened there was also real.
3. Forget the side-ways flashes as they are not real-life.

Simples.

That's basically it, don't ignore the side-ways though, just realise its not real "living" life.

But they managed to leave the island before that in the chopper and then picked up by Desmond's bird.

Plus, the "Others" use to leave the island aswell.

The others weren't necessarily governed by these rules as they weren't candidates. Also leaving the island the first time, is a slightly grey area, as they were attempting to leave and the island went through time (so they may not have been "held" there any longer) lastly they were brought back in the end as well.

Soldato
While Jacob was in charge, the only way they could leave (or get in) was through a very specific bearing. Think of it like a huge glass globe with one small crack in it. Also, Jacob didn't intend for all the people on the island to have to be stuck on it. Remember some people were brought in by folks already on the island, and weren't necessarily brought by Jacob.

On the flip side that plane may have crashed seconds later or they may have left and lived out the rest of their lives.
In the sideways, Kate said to Jack "I missed you so much" implying that she did indeed live a long life after leaving the island.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In the sideways, Kate said to Jack "I missed you so much" implying that she did indeed live a long life after leaving the island.

I'm guessing they could only 'connect' and remember each other once they were both dead. I'm pretty sure they saw each other on the flight and at the airport after landing but obviously didn't know each other.

Associate
I'm guessing they could only 'connect' and remember each other once they were both dead. I'm pretty sure they saw each other on the flight and at the airport after landing but obviously didn't know each other.

We can't understand it fully, as it doesn't exist in time remember. The reason Jack was last to enter the party wasn't due to being the last to enter this purgatory area, it just took him personally longer to accept the connections (he's always had trouble with this sort of thing).

When John said to Jack, "You don't have a son" he was absolutely right, everything they thought they were doing never actually happened and once the re-connection was made, they realised this.

It wasn't a case of waiting for them both to be dead, as they were both already dead in this purgatory. It doesn't conform to any type of reality we can explain on paper.

Soldato
The only film I can think of remotely like this is The Langoliers, but they don't actually crash and exist in a time either a few minutes before or after the present IIRC. There are no humans about but a bunch of flying monsters that eventually show up to 'eat' time. They have to get the plane back in the air and through the time rip before the monsters show up to devour existence.

The Langoliers was fantastic!!!

Associate
The series is an extended Jacobs ladder. Jacob enables people to let go of their burdens through experience on the island. At the end Ben tells Hurley that was Jacob's way and he can do it his way now, Hence the flash sideways. Burdens released through a more happy existence in the apparent real world.

The Island is a concept. The 1980s film "Jacob's ladder" was the same story but based around one character and still a mess of visions through to the last scene.

Caporegime
We can't understand it fully, as it doesn't exist in time remember. The reason Jack was last to enter the party wasn't due to being the last to enter this purgatory area, it just took him personally longer to accept the connections (he's always had trouble with this sort of thing).

When John said to Jack, "You don't have a son" he was absolutely right, everything they thought they were doing never actually happened and once the re-connection was made, they realised this.

It wasn't a case of waiting for them both to be dead, as they were both already dead in this purgatory. It doesn't conform to any type of reality we can explain on paper.

Ah, thanks. :)

Soldato
The series is an extended Jacobs ladder. Jacob enables people to let go of their burdens through experience on the island. At the end Ben tells Hurley that was Jacob's way and he can do it his way now, Hence the flash sideways. Burdens released through a more happy existence in the apparent real world.

The Island is a concept. The 1980s film "Jacob's ladder" was the same story but based around one character and still a mess of visions through to the last scene.
I'm guessing you didn't actually watch any of this then, because you're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom