LOST..... How do you think it will end

Associate
Th Numbers = The valenzetti equation, a group of numbers which predict the end of the world (like the real life doomsday formula)

Dharma = A company looking for ways to change these numbers, thus changing the date of the end of the world. They were brought to the island by Jacob, but they came to experiment with the island unusual magnetic properties and exotic matter

Polar Bears = Part of the Dharma Experiments. Also used to move the island through time and space once trained (hence finding skeletons in the Tunisian desert)

Michael = Died on the freighter, but stuck on the island as he is a sinner and needs to repent before moving on.

:p

It really does make me wonder why some people can't understand why the polar bears were on the island. People don't ask about the Dharma branded sharks though, it's the same deal, Dharma brought them there for experiments. I pretty much figured this out as soon as we found out about Dharma, and when I saw the bear cages I knew for certain.

Soldato
Maybe it's because I re-watched the whole thing recently, or because we're on a forum with a technical/scientific orientated audience but did half the people in this thread even watch the same show as me? Were they all too busy playing doodle ****ing jump on their iPhones instead actually watching the show?

Indeed. I've actually watched the different seasons multiple times over the past year. For me, none of the seasons were at all bad or significantly worse than other seasons. It was all very compelling and entertaining TV.

Having said that, they could definitely have used their time better in the last 2 seasons to answer questions.

Soldato
The Numbers = The valenzetti equation, a group of numbers which predict the end of the world (like the real life doomsday formula)

Why were these the same exact numbers which won Hurley the lottery? Was this coincidence or was there some deeper, mystery?

Michael = Died on the freighter, but stuck on the island as he is a sinner and needs to repent before moving on.

Hang on. Wasnt the island, real? This would mean that the island has the ability to trap souls, correct?

Associate
Why were these the same exact numbers which won Hurley the lottery? Was this coincidence or was there some deeper, mystery?

Hang on. Wasnt the island, real? This would mean that the island has the ability to trap souls, correct?

Hurley got the numbers from a guy in his mental institute who used to repeat them over and over (he repeated them because he heard the numbers being broadcast on repeat from the island - that is the link between Hurley choosing the numbers and the fact that they're on the island). The fact that he played them and won the lottery may have been coincidence, but more likely because they are special numbers (cursed or whatever)

And yes the island was real, and it would appear to have the ability to hold onto people who aren't ready to move on for whatever reason.

Soldato
I just read this
The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.
http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-bad-robots-take-finale-t59261.html

Associate
Hurley got the numbers from a guy in his mental institute who used to repeat them over and over (he repeated them because he heard the numbers being broadcast on repeat from the island - that is the link between Hurley choosing the numbers and the fact that they're on the island). The fact that he played them and won the lottery may have been coincidence, but more likely because they are special numbers (cursed or whatever)

Right, this might just be me, but:

When the French travelers first got the the island, they heard the numbers on the radio right? I'm highly convinced that it was Hurley's voice on that transmission.

I may have been going crazy, but it would make sense with all the time traveling stuff that was happening around that point of the series.

Associate
Right, this might just be me, but:

When the French travelers first got the the island, they heard the numbers on the radio right? I'm highly convinced that it was Hurley's voice on that transmission.

I may have been going crazy, but it would make sense with all the time traveling stuff that was happening around that point of the series.

Hurley and the french travelers just reminded me of another two things that wasnt answered.

1) Why was there 50s music playing from the walkie talkie when Hurley was using it, he joked "maybe its time travel". im going to take a wild guess and say that was the electromagtic field bouncing radio waves in the bubble dome, but regardless, it wasnt explained.

2) Remember that tiny bug?? that was really loud and you could hear it from about 300 metres away? I think that was from the really pointless episode when they introduced two unkown characters, and buried them alive all in one episode.

"hey, do you want to go on a adventure? its boring here!"
"yeah sure"

awful

Associate
Rather than shout down opposing arguements why not discuss?

My view;

The all died in the plane crash and the Island was Jacob's way of helping them move on. Hence the board game where you made your own rules. Hence Eko moving on whilst on the Island. Hence Jacob telling his brother Esau (check out the bible) why he kept bringing people there.

Feel free to disprove.

Associate

My view;

The all died in the plane crash and the Island was Jacob's way of helping them move on. Hence the board game where you made your own rules. Hence Eko moving on whilst on the Island. Hence Jacob telling his brother Esau (check out the bible) why he kept bringing people there.

Feel free to disprove.

Well one of the writers of the show has said this isn't correct, sorry.

They were alive isn't on the island, everything that happened on the island happened for real.

I'm fairly confident this is correct.

Associate
Yes they did. A couple of things though.

1. Just because Christian said everything was real doesn't mean its not a type of in between life. That would be real too, as in not a dream but actually happening.

2. The writters dismissed Purgatory from an early point. Of course they would, otherwise what would be the point of the show. Pergatory is a specific concept though and it is easy to deny. It is a Catholic doctrine and only one of many.

Associate
Yes they did. A couple of things though.

1. Just because Christian said everything was real doesn't mean its not a type of in between life. That would be real too, as in not a dream but actually happening.

2. The writters dismissed Purgatory from an early point. Of course they would, otherwise what would be the point of the show. Pergatory is a specific concept though and it is easy to deny. It is a Catholic doctrine and only one of many.

No I mean after it had finished, one of the writers said the island was real, and they were alive on the island. Or at least, that they were trying to tell us.

Soldato

My view;

Feel free to disprove.

I like your idea. It fits in and has stronger logic to it. This would explain why the island was completely wierd. It would explain how a paraplegic (Locke), was able to walk again, the moment he reached the island.

It would also explain other "wierd" stuff, as in effect, its a land of make believe, where anything is possible, as it isnt real. It would also explain the time travelling, which isn't possible (yet).

Had the writers gone in that direction it would've made more sense. Unfortunately though, the writers have given strong indication that he island was real (which is why we saw the plane leave right at the end of the episode and why Kate stated that she had been waiting for a long time).

Permabanned
I thought it was a pretty decent finale, the Claire/Charlie flashbacks were well done and it seemed like a somewhat happy conclusion.

Only thing I thought was a bit lame was how fast MiB got taken out after becoming mortal.

Definitely think the first two seasons of the show were the best though.

Associate
The plane that left the island at the end was not the plane that left Hydra, bent wing tips. Now this might have been a continuity error but is note worthy.

Kate may have carried on, waiting to move on for some time. Hence missing Jack. They were able to leave the Island because that is Hurley's way, as were the flash sideways. Ben tells Hurley he is good at helping people. He helps people come to terms in his own way. The flash sideways.

The Island is Jacobs way. Flash sideways is Hurley.

Danie'ls Mother knows this and chooses to stay there with her son, hoping he will never move on. Hence the inteaction with Desmond "are you going to take my son away"

Associate
Hurley and the french travelers just reminded me of another two things that wasnt answered.

1) Why was there 50s music playing from the walkie talkie when Hurley was using it, he joked "maybe its time travel". im going to take a wild guess and say that was the electromagtic field bouncing radio waves in the bubble dome, but regardless, it wasnt explained.

2) Remember that tiny bug?? that was really loud and you could hear it from about 300 metres away? I think that was from the really pointless episode when they introduced two unkown characters, and buried them alive all in one episode.

"hey, do you want to go on a adventure? its boring here!"
"yeah sure"

awful

Yeah that episode was a strange one, it was a proper filler episode. It was kind of cool how it was revealed that they found the pearl first, but people discussed at length that Nikkie and Paulo never actually existed until that episode (well a couple before) due to some kind of time paradox. I need to refresh on it, but there were some awesome theories regarding those two.

As for 50's music, it doesn't need explaining. Either it was on the island or it bounced off the ionosphere or it was indeed from the past.

I like your idea. It fits in and has stronger logic to it. This would explain why the island was completely wierd. It would explain how a paraplegic (Locke), was able to walk again, the moment he reached the island.

It would also explain other "wierd" stuff, as in effect, its a land of make believe, where anything is possible, as it isnt real. It would also explain the time travelling, which isn't possible (yet).

Had the writers gone in that direction it would've made more sense. Unfortunately though, the writers have given strong indication that he island was real (which is why we saw the plane leave right at the end of the episode and why Kate stated that she had been waiting for a long time).

It would have made for an easy way out of a lot of the unexplainable phenomenon, but things like time travel do exist we just don't have a way of harnessing it. The island was that harness, it's just Sci-Fi storytelling loosely based on real theories.

Soldato

Not sure why you so wanted a realistic ending and explanation for it all.
Had they all died in the initial plane crash and for us to find out at the end that this was the case, it would undermine the whole story.. like when a story ends with "but it was all a dream".

Associate
My proposal is not that it was all a dream. It is that we all have good and bad in us. Things we are proud and ashamed of. The Island was a real place in as much as any afterlife theory is real. It was a place to work through the process of letting go by creating a place where you can meet your fears and strengths.

It was real in the sence that people were there. The Darma initiative found it somehow (whole other discussion) and the things that happened, happened. They were simply not real in the sence that I am going to work in a minute.

I can grasp that better than the idea of a tangible Island that moves and you can crash on from 30000ft and walk out of.

Soldato
I'm beginnning to think a better ending would have just been them finding another hatch. Remember the hatches? That was proper Lost, oops there's another hatch, queue several episodes solving the mystery of the latest hatch. You couldn't get enough hatches. Just as the show was becomming stagnent, they find another hatch. Jack opens the coffin and "WTF? A hatch!" Christian would have been like "**** me, I thought this was supposed purgatory. I've been wasting my time ferrying people to the light, when all the time there's been a hatch under my very nose. A hatch! Somebidy fetch Locke, we need to get this ****er open." Fade to black.

Back
Top Bottom