8K for "sport""ish" car

Associate
Hey guys, a little while ago ive been havin trouble with my fiesta, ive had nothing but bother with it now since they replaced the coil pack, took it back and said oh it aint the coil pack, book it in for a service then we see what the problem is. So once ive got it done im really considerin to get rid of it plus its only a 1.4, want something with a little more "umph" at round abouts etc. I do like my fiesta, strong little cars.

I wouldnt mind a ST version of my car, but i do fancy a change.

Ive been eyeing up a local dealer and hes got a VW Polo GTi for £7899 which is the 150bhp version ( was hopeing for the 180) and its a 1.8 Petrol, got 35k on the clock, 1 owner (female luckily), and got the other arts and farts with it.

However recently ive been looking at the leon cupra's. I know for 8k it will be the old style which i do like. Ive not seen one locally so it'll have to be a pistonheads job i presume but for the money hopefully can get a fairly low milage one and not been ragged about.

I was just wonderin if anyone has had any first hand experiance with these 2 cars or if anyone has an alternative to these cars?

The insurance should be fine on both (17 is quite high to on the cupras tho) but i dont mind payin the bit extra :)

Thanks for your time

Soldato
Polo GTi and Fiesta ST are not that quick, I'd go slightly older and with slightly higher mileage and get something really fun.

Civic Type R, Leon Cupra, Focus ST (out of budget by about £1k) etc....

Associate
OP
Sorry to the board, ive just edited the title and saved it and created another thread, sorry!

I do like the civic's aswell but i heard that there has been a lot of gear problems with them?

Focus is just abit big for me, plus the next door has the old orange one, nasty colour.

I was looking at audi A3 but for the price and the year of the car is crazy, its like a 52 plate for 8k.

Soldato
Alternatives to the Polo GTi which is a bit meh, would be things like the fiesta or Clio 182, would be able to get a great example for 8k, or would be able to get an early 197.

Then you are looking at the cupra so which is obviously the class above where you would put it against the Civic Type-R, Focus ST etc. Although these are generally quite a bit more powerful than the cars you have been looking at.

Soldato
I'd ignore the A3, it's going to be much older and not as quick as the others.

Do you want a warm hatch (Fiesta ST, Polo GTi) or an actual hot hatch (Leon Cupra, Civic Type R, Golf GTi etc...).

Not heard of any issues with the Civic Type R's, generally they are considered to be pretty bomb proof in terms of reliability.

Associate
OP
The focus is big for me when driving one, but you get used to it over time as with any other car. I just hate seeing the same two cars and where i live a lot of them have the focus, its a personal thing, i just want something that aint around my area.

haha yeah i do like audi's but for the price to what you get for 8k is not much.

Im just in mixed minds, i been looking around newcastle's car dealers and saw afew of each car but ive not spotted a leon cupra so i cant really decide and wouldnt mind a test drive of it before making my choice. Ive only mentioned the Polo GTi as i loved my first Polo but got scrapped, and i like the 07 shape ones and didnt realise they did a GTi version until i looked it up, then spotted one at a dealer.

Im just wonderin why people are trading in good cars, do they just want a change or car or do they find something bad about them over time?

Soldato
The focus is big for me when driving one, but you get used to it over time as with any other car. I just hate seeing the same two cars and where i live a lot of them have the focus, its a personal thing, i just want something that aint around my area.

haha yeah i do like audi's but for the price to what you get for 8k is not much.

Im just in mixed minds, i been looking around newcastle's car dealers and saw afew of each car but ive not spotted a leon cupra so i cant really decide and wouldnt mind a test drive of it before making my choice. Ive only mentioned the Polo GTi as i loved my first Polo but got scrapped, and i like the 07 shape ones and didnt realise they did a GTi version until i looked it up, then spotted one at a dealer.

Im just wonderin why people are trading in good cars, do they just want a change or car or do they find something bad about them over time?

People trade them in because it's all the rage to have diesel eco Corsa's and other crap at the moment. They also are not massivly quick (warm hatches).

Best bet is to get test driving everything if I was you, find out what you like and then try and find a good example in budget.

Clio 182's are a good bet for a small fast hatch.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive got afew days off next week so i may pop along tomorrow after work and book a drive. Ive already test drove the Polo GTi and i cant fault it. What should i be looking for on testing these cars? I would take a guess and say

-gear change's
-smoothness
-all dash parts in reaching distance when driving
-space in the car

Then the exterior of the car, under the bonnet, markings and scuffs on the car etc

Is there much that i can hackle with the dealers in these days since not many people are buying, like free 6 month tax/ part insurance payment/ free mot? Would you's give it a shot and try it on with them?

Im still leanin towards the Polo or the Leon Cupra but i need find a the Leon around where i am.

Soldato
May as well add my post in the other thread in here too

Just be wary of the 1.8 20VT in terms of history, make sure its had the cambelt and waterpump done most should have been done by now, waterpump failure is common

Personally i'd try a high revving NA engine if you like the Fiesta ST, you can get a last of line 2005 Civic Type-R premier Edition with a bullet proof high revving 2.0 petrol engine, Recaro seats, red carpets, Momo stearing wheel and possibly some change out of £8k

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The MCS is a hoot to drive though and the noise is intoxicating, although I guess the whine could get on your nerves eventually.

The R53 is rather uncomfortable though and certainly not as refined as the bigger cars mentioned.

Soldato
Ive got afew days off next week so i may pop along tomorrow after work and book a drive. Ive already test drove the Polo GTi and i cant fault it. What should i be looking for on testing these cars? I would take a guess and say

-gear change's
-smoothness
-all dash parts in reaching distance when driving
-space in the car

Then the exterior of the car, under the bonnet, markings and scuffs on the car etc

Is there much that i can hackle with the dealers in these days since not many people are buying, like free 6 month tax/ part insurance payment/ free mot? Would you's give it a shot and try it on with them?

Im still leanin towards the Polo or the Leon Cupra but i need find a the Leon around where i am.

Those things you are checking are what you should check for any normal car, a hot or fast version needs extra things checking. Best bet is to check owners clubs to see what the common faults are.

Power delivery is something to think about, cars deliver power is different ways.

Yes you can haggle but any car you buy should have a years MOT and 6 months tax minimum. No one will help with insurance as that's your problem issue but you can expect to get money off or barter for extras.

Back
Top Bottom