LOST..... How do you think it will end

Associate
When the truth comes out and you all see that they died in the plane crash, can we delete this whole thread?

Your arguement for surviving the crash appears to include the following;
1. People really can survive a 40000ft drop in a burning wreck and wake up in a bamboo forest with a nasty nick.
2. Despite every flash bach showing broken desperate lives, the survivors enter purgatory in season 6 because of the terrible times on the Island.
3. Eko realising his troubles and moving on whilst still on the Island does not in fact prove that it was purgatory all along. (or a similar concept allowing deniability to the writers)
4. Jacob is not at all based on Isaccs Son from the bible and he never had a ladder for redemption. Like the one leading up the cliff face on the Island.

It is clear they died. In the crash. before the Island. The show opens with Jack opening his eye in the forest and closes with the same scene. Still with the shoe hanging off the branch.

Ibid.

not a bad theory,

but unfortunately we will never know, as the writers dont seem to even know themselves.

I do think that ORIGINALLY the island was purgatory and then they changed the story when people guessed what it was (remember Walts picture book that said Purgatory in Latin?)

not a bad theory,

i think it's an aweful theory tbh as it would have been confirmed that that was the case, which it wasn't. the island was real and the flash sideways was purgatory is what was confirmed, why would they say that in the season final if it wasn't the case?

also walts book, he also read one about a plane crash before it happened if i remember correctly. had no real reason for it though as it was not as though walt was making things happen which was at one point a theory. think it was more an easter egg for the fans. they did it a few other times with peoples theories, either for a little fun or to throw you off the scent.

i plan to rewatch the series again and see all these things that they threw in. little things like seeing walt's missing face on the side of a milk carton.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now Walt was a character that simply vanished. His special powers (or any of the others' special powers) were never explained. Which sucked.

They need the Morgan Freeman, reading answers to all the questions special DVD release. :D

Associate
When the truth comes out and you all see that they died in the plane crash, can we delete this whole thread?

It is clear they died. In the crash. before the Island. The show opens with Jack opening his eye in the forest and closes with the same scene. Still with the shoe hanging off the branch.

Ibid.

You may have noticed that in the scene in the pilot just after he wakes up, jack passes a clean white shoe hanging from one of the branches, presumably from one of the people on the plane. If you watch the final scene as jack moves through the same forest he passes the same shoe, but its now dirty and worn from the real world passage of time between the first shot of jack opening his eyes when 815 crashed and when he closes his eyes and finally dies for real.

Clean Shoe in 1x01 Pilot Part 1
http://img85.imageshack.us/f/cleanshoe.jpg/
Dirty Shoe in 1x18 The End Part 2
http://img708.imageshack.us/f/dirtyshoe.jpg/

The shots of jack opening and closing his eyes were there for symbolism and as book ends to the series, that's all there is to it apart from the fact he wakes up at the start of the series when he opens his eyes, and dies at the end when he closes them.

Associate
Is the reference people make to the Island being real based on what Christian said?

I recall him saying "everything that has happened to you is real." as well as him being real!.

To Catholics, Purgatory is REAL.

It doesnt mean anymore than that.

Is the reference people make to the Island being real based on what Christian said?

I recall him saying "everything that has happened to you is real." as well as him being real!.

To Catholics, Purgatory is REAL.

It doesnt mean anymore than that.

why then would christian speak of them as 2 different places then? he spoke of the island as one place, and then where they were as another, but if they were both purgatory then why? also it's silly to make this theory up now the series is finished. they said it to confirm island was real, not to add more questions about it being real. i like that they left parts out so you were still lost, but not something as big as this, as you'd then have watched 6 series to find out nothing.

wasn't that shoe charlies?

Associate
When Christian was talking about everything that happened to them was real he meant everything that happened on the Island, in their actual lives when they were flesh and blood in the physical world that everyone reading this thread/post lives in.

Associate
Not at all. The Island was Jacobs way of managing the souls realisation. Flash Sideways was Hurley. Ben told him he could do it his way now.

What the Finale told us was that the series was about coming to terms with lifes struggles and learning from them before you move on. Hence Ben not being ready. He spent all the time on the Island carrying on as he was and never learning.

I think it is a very satisfying conclusion. The alternative is that the Island has no explaination at all. Weird stuff just happened. That doesnt answer anything.

Not at all. The Island was Jacobs way of managing the souls realisation. Flash Sideways was Hurley. Ben told him he could do it his way now.

What the Finale told us was that the series was about coming to terms with lifes struggles and learning from them before you move on. Hence Ben not being ready. He spent all the time on the Island carrying on as he was and never learning.

I think it is a very satisfying conclusion. The alternative is that the Island has no explaination at all. Weird stuff just happened. That doesnt answer anything.

so jack moves on under jacobs management, as well as others, then when hurley gets a go as being the purgatory manager (for no reason at that as it's just purgatory so why would jacob stand down), they all come back for hurley to manage them? seems too far fetched tbh and i don't understand why you don't want to accept the way the show said it was in the finale?

did jacob then "kill" the already dead people in his purgatory like boone, shanon etc? when john left and died off the island, was this still jacobs purgatory?

Associate
Your challenge is depentant on a linear time line, which we know is not the case. "There is no now, here".

John failed to realise his self on and off the Island and did not move on until Hurley gave him another way. A different existence with a different slant on his issues. Him letting go and allowing Jack to fix him was his realisation leading to him moving on.

And it isnt far fetched. It is an old story. You just have to look a bit deeper than "Hey this Island stuff is odd. It must be just unexplained science fiction"

Soldato
Am I missing something? Jacob and his brother couldn't leave the island. Then Jacob goes and leaves the Island? Surly that's a massive plot hole. It seems the story goes something like this.

Jacobs brother killed their mum over not being able to leave the island.
Jacobs kills his brother who comes back as the smoke thing.
For some reason now Jacob can leave the island but his brother cannot. Jacob leaves island to bring all the losties to Island.

Effectively by bringing all the Losties to the Island like Ben, Jacob sets it up so his brother can kill him. But the whole reason to bring all the candidates to the Island was to replace Jacob after he died. If Jacob didn't bring the candidates to the Island to replace him, he wouldn't need to be replaced as there would be no candidates around to kill him.

So why could Jacob leave the Island but his brother cannot? What changed to make is so Jacob could leave? Why not just let Jacobs brother leave the Island before he turns into the smoke thing. He leaves, all problems solved. Jacobs keeps protecting island and half the people bought to the Island don't need to be.

not to mention all the other odd stuff like how did all these people in 100ad or whatever year it was know how to build machines out of wood that interact with the light? What was the light and the stones at the all about?

As far as I can see nothing was explained in the end apart from the Flash Sideways.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some things were explained (in preceding episodes during Season 6), however, in order to answer all the questions, they really would need to have someone going through a list, one by one, answering each question in turn.

If they decided to try and answer all the questions in form of extra episodes, there would probably be an extra season.

Soldato
Twice actually. I am still to hear any reason why you all believe otherwise.

They survived and lived on the island/escaped until they died during the series or from old ages after the series had finished. The supposed parallel time line wasn't a parallel, it was their own state of limbo they had created to find each other before they passed on (After dieing many years apart).

Presumably that because of their experiences together they became soul mates and hence waited for each other before crossing over and spending eternity together forever (Not every character was in the limbo construct, a lot of them didn't connect with the main characters hence their absence I presume).

Rubbish ending imo. Nothing that really mattered about the island was explained properly, although there is probably too much to go over seeing as they spent at least 5 series of episodes just creating new unanswered questions. :/ :/

Am I missing something? Jacob and his brother couldn't leave the island. Then Jacob goes and leaves the Island? Surly that's a massive plot hole. It seems the story goes something like this.

Jacobs brother killed their mum over not being able to leave the island.
Jacobs kills his brother who comes back as the smoke thing.
For some reason now Jacob can leave the island but his brother cannot. Jacob leaves island to bring all the losties to Island.

Effectively by bringing all the Losties to the Island like Ben, Jacob sets it up so his brother can kill him. But the whole reason to bring all the candidates to the Island was to replace Jacob after he died. If Jacob didn't bring the candidates to the Island to replace him, he wouldn't need to be replaced as there would be no candidates around to kill him.

So why could Jacob leave the Island but his brother cannot? What changed to make is so Jacob could leave? Why not just let Jacobs brother leave the Island before he turns into the smoke thing. He leaves, all problems solved. Jacobs keeps protecting island and half the people bought to the Island don't need to be.

not to mention all the other odd stuff like how did all these people in 100ad or whatever year it was know how to build machines out of wood that interact with the light? What was the light and the stones at the all about?

As far as I can see nothing was explained in the end apart from the Flash Sideways.

it wasn't confirm if i remember correctly, but each protector of the island can protect and set their own rules within reason. i guess you could say jacobs mum set the rule that they can't leave the island, so when she died it no longer was a rule, however jacob then set another set of rules to say mib can't leave the island. hugo set a new load of rules which we assume went well from what he said to his number 2 guy, though of course at some point he has died but that's up to your own mind to decide what happened to him.

i think jacob didn't bring dharma there, and he knew one way or another he'd die from people finding the island by themselves. if jacob didn't bring dharma, that would suggest he didn't bring ben (please correct if wrong) who was the person who killed him. he always thought ben wouldn't be a candidate though had hope is the impression i got by what he said to ben before he died.

again iirc mib didn't kill the mum because he couldn't leave, it was because she tried to kill him and because jacob became the new protector. jacob didn't kill the mib either, remember they can't. however he pushed him into the light, which killed him and then turned his soul into the mib, or something along those lines as it was never confirmed how it happened.

i'd like to know alternaives the writers were thinking/planning. would be great to hear what the story would have been if eko had stayed/charlie (still don't beleive they wrote him out by choice as clairs character at that point become aweful!) and if they had had another 1/2 seasons to explain more what else would they have done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom