HTC Hero, coming July on Orange and T-Mobile, makes me want!

Associate
Right, I realise this has probably already been mentioned quite a lot in here, but I had a look through and couldn't really see anything specific. I'm not sure why I haven't yet, since I'm normally fiddling with everything I buy, but I haven't tried any of the custom ROMs yet. I'm wondering if people have links to any good guides, and recommendations on which ROM is best.

I had a search on google, and found a few guides, but they didn't seem very concise, and I wasn't entirely sure on what some steps wanted. I also tried to get onto the MoDaCo website, and the VillainRom one, but they both seem to be down. People always talk about how easy it is, so is there actually any risk of me bricking my phone? I'd rather not do that, obviously.

Cheers for the help

Soldato
the best guides are on the unlocker.com, as they have a video walk through which you can follow, im currently running vanillaeclair3.0 as i was having reboots on superhero, which ive now found was a sd card problem.

As for villainrom.co.uk being down, it does take a few refresh's for myself to get on sometimes.

the only risk of bricking your phone is if you put a rom from another phone on,or wrong radio iirc. aslong as you nandroid most of the times you'll be fine.

Associate
Cheers, I've managed to root it, do a nandroid backup, and now have BeHero+ ROM on it. Everything seems to be working fine, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Soldato
Cheers, I've managed to root it, do a nandroid backup, and now have BeHero+ ROM on it. Everything seems to be working fine, so I'm gonna stick with it.

cool, keep checking villainroms though, a froyo build is on its way soon, and superhero will have a new version which is an awesome rom.

Soldato
I've been out of the loop for a while in terms of upgrades to the hero. I got one back in august i did the original Rom upgrade but now i see there is one that was released in February? Is this worth upgrading to? Also how can i upgrade my OS as im still on 1.6 :| .

Associate
I've been out of the loop for a while in terms of upgrades to the hero. I got one back in august i did the original Rom upgrade but now i see there is one that was released in February? Is this worth upgrading to? Also how can i upgrade my OS as im still on 1.6 :| .

The only official rom is the 1.5

If you have root then a third party rom may be good for you.

Modaco 3.2 will give you a better tweaked version of 1.5

Others such as those at www.villainrom.co.uk will have versions of 1.6 and 2.1 available which are not quite as stable as Modaco but have the features of the newer Android versions.

5ingh: it's whizzing at 710mhz, what would it be whizzing along at before? how much of a performance increase is that as i'm interested in trying out what yuou have suggested, but only if it's work the risk.

any news on official 2.1 coming to hero?

just to confirm 2.2 is and never will come to hero? and if so does that mean 2.1 is the final update for hero and 2.3, 3.0+ wont work either?

Soldato
5ingh: it's whizzing at 710mhz, what would it be whizzing along at before? how much of a performance increase is that as i'm interested in trying out what yuou have suggested, but only if it's work the risk.

any news on official 2.1 coming to hero?

just to confirm 2.2 is and never will come to hero? and if so does that mean 2.1 is the final update for hero and 2.3, 3.0+ wont work either?

not officialy no, but the dev team at villainrom.co.uk and some from xda are busy making a 2.2froyo hero rom.

htc have said only phones released from 2010 and on will get an official 2.2 rom.

Soldato
Updated to Villan Rom 6.1 (now 6.2) the otherday, installed all the updates and its a very good 2.1 rom since updated had no FC or crashes as yet. Battery life seems pretty good even with my CPU overclocked to 690Mhz the GPS has been sorted so no need to reset as with some previous roms. Rosie works fine as do live wallpapers, think there is a few issues with face book sync with calander so birthdays etc dont show up but there is a patch on the way. The OTA updates work well and has caused no issues so far updating for me and in general best 2.1 rom I used, just waiting for the 2.2 roms to start arriving.
link to villan 6.2
http://villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=680

Soldato
having real issues with my Hero last 2 days, signal is constantly dropping out not sure if its down to Orange or what. Been on MCR 3.1 for ages so surely it cant be that or phone related nothing has changed for ages?

No one else really seems to be having issues with network though.

If I go from 3.1 > 3.2 Do I need to clean and start over again?

Been ages since ive had to do anything like this, did try a nandroid backup earlier but it failed told me to do it via the adb.

*edit it was because my mem card was full sorted

Last edited:
Soldato
Right now this is annoying.

I spoke to Orange and they said they are having issues with a mast or something possibly until the 6th. Told me to remove my sim for 15mins and try again, I did and nothing same problem.

Also told me to try it in a different phone which I did, worked fine could send and recieve properly which I couldnt before and almost full strength signal!

I have upgraded to MCR 3.2 but before that I hadnt touched my phone for months so cant see why its started doing this.

I will try it again at work tomorrow as that will use a different mast altogether but does anyone know of any issues with this phone and degrading signal strength? Or a possible problem/solution to it?

Back
Top Bottom