1066 DDR2 running 333?!?! :(( help

Associate
I Have 3GB of this ram

and in my bios its fsb speed (unlinked to cpu) is stating 666 (or 667)

nw10dz.jpg

whats going on? :((

Soldato
More worrying, it is running in single channel mode.

What is you memory stick configuration?

To solve your initial problem you will need to find the rated voltage and timings of the RAM ( I believe it is 2.1 -2.3V and 5-5-5-15(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) timings). Then go into the BIOS, apply the timings and voltage as specified and increase the memory multiplier so that it shows 1066MHz for the memory frequency.

Man of Honour
Bare in mind its running at 667MHz (when compared to the double data rate of 1066) - 333MHz is the base clock rate.

Hes running 3Gig of RAM which is why its not in dual channel mode - not a great idea... its probably possible to force flex mode or similiar on some boards.

Some motherboards can't run above 667MHz with flex mode type configurations either for that matter.

Soldato
To be honest - I would. Theoetically - running in dual channel mode doubles your memory bandwidth compared to single channel mode.

If you are able to source a single 1GB stick of the same speed as your current stuff (the exact same module type would be ideal) it would mean you could run all 4 in dual channel mode.

Man of Honour
Some people will argue that single channel is only "5%" slower than dual channel... but from my experience it makes for far longer loading times and generally less responsive system.

Your going to lose a bit on a 32bit system but personally I'd rather have a nicely rounded out dual channel and as much of 4gig as I can use.

Incase it wasn't clear from my earlier post - you have to bare in mind that the 1066 and 667 clocks stated are the DDR rated speed... (double data rate) and 333MHz as shown in CPU-z is the base frequency of the RAM which you have to double to get the DDR rated number.

Soldato
It means you won't be able to address all of it- but it will mean that you will be running in dual channel mode with 3GB+ of RAM.

Does your edition of windows come with an option to change to 64bit by any chance?

Associate
OP
oaky, i think im going to go back to 2GB for now and run dual channel

But i still would like my ram to be running at either 800mhz or 1066 rather than 667 :(

im unsure of how to do this

i tired linking them 5:4 ratio but i was only able to use 1333fsb speed = this gave 1066mhz ram and 3.16GHz cpu ( i want 4Ghz cpu )

Associate
OP
i dont think i can change my bus speed, when i put the ratio 1:1 and put the fsb to 1691 for my 4Ghz cpu it puts the ram to that as well :/ or am i being stuppied?

Soldato
The FSB is quad pumped - so if you set it to 422MHz (like it is now) the effective speed will be ~1690MHz. However, the effective RAM speed is only doubled (due to DDR) - so it would run at 844MHz if you set the base bus clockspeed to 422MHz and used a 1:1 divider.

Associate
OP
Some people will argue that single channel is only "5%" slower than dual channel... but from my experience it makes for far longer loading times and generally less responsive system.

Your going to lose a bit on a 32bit system but personally I'd rather have a nicely rounded out dual channel and as much of 4gig as I can use.

Incase it wasn't clear from my earlier post - you have to bare in mind that the 1066 and 667 clocks stated are the DDR rated speed... (double data rate) and 333MHz as shown in CPU-z is the base frequency of the RAM which you have to double to get the DDR rated number.

Very helpful :) thank you

Associate
OP
The FSB is quad pumped - so if you set it to 422MHz (like it is now) the effective speed will be ~1690MHz. However, the effective RAM speed is only doubled (due to DDR) - so it would run at 844MHz if you set the base bus clockspeed to 422MHz and used a 1:1 divider.

omg right. im trying that now! brb :D

Back
Top Bottom