Need help with my bt phone socket

Can anyone identify what this box does and do I need it , I’ve no idea what it is or what it does.

DSC_0362.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I can't say I have seen one of these. It resembles an electrical breaker circuit such as are used to switch of /on mains currents - it is not applicable to a Bt circuit - the bars may become corroded and for good measure it would appear they have proved earthing. It is best to run the incoming cable to a modern master socket. However it may be that this is not possible in your case as the incoming wires may not be suitably placed. I would suggest replacing this with a modern and cheap "joining box" I assume you have a master socket? - as this should be installed too. The best BB connection is by removing the Bt master sockets face plate and replacing it with a filtered master socket face plate such as the XTE-2005.
Does your Line come in via an overhead wire?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't say I have seen one of these. It resembles an electrical breaker circuit such as are used to switch of /on mains currents - it is not applicable to a Bt circuit - the bars may become corroded and for good measure it would appear they have proved earthing. It is best to run the incoming cable to a modern master socket. However it may be that this is not possible in your case as the incoming wires may not be suitably placed. I would suggest replacing this with a modern and cheap "joining box" I assume you have a master socket? - as this should be installed too. The best BB connection is by removing the Bt master sockets face plate and replacing it with a filtered master socket face plate such as the XTE-2005.
Does your Line come in via an overhead wire?

yea i do have a master socket it's just below it, what is a joining box btw can't find one on google i'm not sure what i'm looking at

EDIT: yes my line come in via an overhead wire

Last edited:
Associate
This is a later model The incoming wires are thicker than the internal so go on the Screws. The outgoing wires on this box needs a wire pusher.
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BT80A.html
I tend to use the older all screw little boxes
Here are shown a number of boxes:
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm
I tend to use this for incoming cable joins - which I generally have available:
Post Office Telecom box 52A

I wonder in which century your wiring was put in?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom