Wireless

Associate
Do motherboard come wireless ready or do you have to add a card or use a dongle. I cannot sem to find the feature when looking at the specs.
If it does exist on some cards, what would be the wordin / code to identify this. Thanks.

Soldato
Most boards (especially full ATX ones) do not come with any Wifi, so you will need to buy a Wifi card or USB dongle.

What is the type of wifi network do you plan on connecting to (b/g/n), and would you prefer a PCI card or USB adapter?

Also, as it will be a non-mobile PC, have you considered Gigabit Ethernet or Powerline? These connections have much more bandwidth and introduce much less lag.

Associate
OP
I have to build my lad a HTPC as at present he plays his music collection from a WD network HD (in another room with his broadband) using his laptop (wireless) connected to an audio amp.
I have therefor to accomodate this with wireless on new MB. Most probably a Micro ATX MB.
I was looking at Asus H55 and i3 CPU, soundcard , small HD, 80+ PSU and Win 7. The only issue I had was the wireless feature.
The spec for the HTPC was hopefully for a low energy one to keep it quiet. I don't know if I,m on the right track.
I must say that the build would be with futureability for him to rip DVD's and play them - in the future.
Is Gigabit Ethernet, hard wired connection to router?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are looking for a small motherboard with wifi and ability to take an i3 CPU - the "ZOTAC H55ITX-A-E" motherboard seems to fit the bill. It is mini ITX, which is even smaller than micro ATX.

Edit: beaten to it

However, it does seem to be a bit on the expensive side. IMHO, you would be better off with a micro ATX board like this and a decent wifi dongle like this.

Back
Top Bottom