Caliper brake to V brake compatibility

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm looking to get some new brake levers. Problem being my bike and setup is old so I'm worried about compatibility of parts.

Currently got a vintage Shimano Exage caliper brake set with aero levers on narrow alloy drop bars. Will newer aero levers for V brakes be compatible with this or is the movement different? I haven't measured the diameter of the bars but I'm guessing this hasn't changed?

I'm hoping a classic Shimano SLR aero set will work, but recommendations for anything lighter will be lapped up :)

Soldato
From what I remember, v-brake levers (as you've said) pull more cable than standard canti/caliper brake levers.

I think in which case you'll be fine with them. You'd only have a problem if you were trying to pull a v-brake with a standard lever.

Soldato
A bit further down on that link you posted he says:
New long-pull lever, old caliper or traditional cantilever

The reduced mechanical advantage will require unusually high hand strength to get barely adequate braking force.

Paradoxically, the lever will feel very solid, the brake will engage with a very short amount of lever travel...but won't actually be squeezing very hard on the rim.
So it's probably not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom