ultima viper questions

Associate
Hopfully purchasing a ultima viper next week, but with the following changes,

Case - antec 1200
ssd - intel x25-m 80gb
gpu - ati 5870
hdd - samsung spinpoint f3 1tb

Not heard good things about seagate hdd used.

Not sure about patriot ram though as cpu cooler used covers slot closest to cpu so cannot upgrade to 12gig in future because of ram heat spreaders. What about corsair kit with blue/black heat spreaders?

Also worried about mobo have heard that the ud3r makes funny noises from mosfets around cpu socket, anybody confirm this?

Anybody got one of these, or built a similiar spec rig?

Advice received gratefully.

Associate
Hopfully purchasing a ultima viper next week, but with the following changes,

Case - antec 1200
ssd - intel x25-m 80gb
gpu - ati 5870
hdd - samsung spinpoint f3 1tb

Not heard good things about seagate hdd used.

Not sure about patriot ram though as cpu cooler used covers slot closest to cpu so cannot upgrade to 12gig in future because of ram heat spreaders. What about corsair kit with blue/black heat spreaders?

Also worried about mobo have heard that the ud3r makes funny noises from mosfets around cpu socket, anybody confirm this?

Anybody got one of these, or built a similiar spec rig?

Advice received gratefully.

I have orderd the ultima vanquish which is not far off the same spec as the viper, i spoke indepth to sunny on the phone, the patriot viper memory is very good memory, i too have changed the harddrive, i chose a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache drive, regarding the motherboard i have been told by a lot of people that the Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R is a stonking board, have not heard any issues with funny noises.

Soldato
All fine, but I would keep the Seagate over the Samsung. Far better quality and reliability (the reason we use them in systems), if you don't trust the Seagate go for a Western Digital.

The Corsair RAM will fit with Six sticks so you're fine there. The UD3R is an excellent motherboard, probably the best overall X58 board.

Associate
OP
thanks for help, just read bad posts regarding seagate hdd and problems with mobo on gigabyte forums regarding noises - faults.just worried about spending this amount of money on a system with a board that has issues according to forum members posts eg , booting issues and noises issues?. May go with western hdd as have 3 already had no problems with this brand.

Back
Top Bottom