Can I host it myself?

Permabanned
Well, first of I'm not sure if it should be post in here or networks, so sorry if it's in the wrong bit.

I'm soon going to be creating my owen website and I'm just wondering if I can host it on my owen internet other than having to pay for a host. If I can would it run on my internet?

Thanks
Jo

Soldato
Short answer, yes it's possible. Long answer, no. Just don't.

First, with web servers, the important part of your bandwidth is going to be the upload speed. You'll want at least 5mb for a tiny site, so 370k ain't gonna cut it. Secondly, there's the security (or lack thereof). Thirdly, for the amount of ballache it is to setup a server with the correct security, software etc. and the price that decent hosting can be had for, it's just not worth it doing it yourself.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Keeping a small computer (let's say 100 watts) on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year would cost £110 a year at ~12p per unit of electricity. And that's if you have a small computer - if you have an energy inefficient 'beast', it could be using double that quite easily.

Associate
You may as well just use a hosting company like Vidahost. Their basic package is only £17 for the year.

At least you won't have to worry about security issues or leaving a computer on 24/7.

Another problem you will get is if you want to download something, you will be slowing down the website you are self hosting.

Associate
Like 'That Guy' says, its cheaper to buy a hosting plan than have your PC on 24/7.
Of course, if you are just building something to play with then on your PC should be fine.

Soldato
Jo2009, why don't you try 000webhost if you just want to "dabble" around for now?. They offer a completely free hosting package with cPanel etc :-

http://www.000webhost.com/

Worth a shot just to see how things go. :cool:

TSO Host are currently doing their basic Linux based hosting package for £14.99 a year. And if you enter the code "TENPERCENT" ( without the quotes ) at the checkout when signing up, you will get exactly that - 10% off the price.

And no, I don't work for either of them. :)

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for all the help/info all.

Well, seeing as it seems like me hosting it ain't going to work and will cost more will buy a host.

I'm also wondering if they any way at all to create a website and open it up in a webpage with out having to have pay for a host why I create one?

Thanks
Jo

Associate
TBH if you aren't going to run anything that needs server side processing you might as well build the site without installing a local web server. Just use relative links and you should be able to test it fine on your own machine.

Associate
I suggest microsoft web platform OR wamp for this (locally).

Your upload speed is not sufficiently fast enough to serve content at an acceptable speed.

Send me a private message and I'll set you up with some space on my webserver with cpanel for free.

Associate
Yeah I pretty much agree with the rest of the comments, in theory you can host it yourself fairly easily, but it won't be stable enough to do. Not really worth the hassle unless you're doing it in a professional environment.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks all.

Well, I only plan to do a simple site where I can share photos I do when I get my 550D.
So it's not going to be a huge forum etc.

Jo

Back
Top Bottom