Want a domain name and email hosting for it..

Soldato
Hi Guys

I want to register a domain name but have a few questions as this is new to me and there is so much info on the net :confused:

1, Best company to purchase the domain from?

2, I want to have email forwarded to me via that address like [email protected] is this expensive to buy in addition?

3, Some space to host files etc would be great, does this come as part of the package from some suppliers?

If someone could give me some advice I'd be grateful :)

And any other pointers if they are helpful too

Many thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
1. I'm not sure what the best place is, and although I use 123reg for my domain I would not recommend them, if it wasn't so much hassle I would transfer my domain to another company.

2. email fordwarding should be free, at least it is with 123reg. I simply create a name for it (eg [email protected], [email protected] or even set it to forward emails sent to [email protected]) and point it to my gmail address, then inside google i set it up so that any time I recieve an email sent to my domain, all replies will be sent using the domain as an adress instead of replying with @gmail

3. Almost all domain name providers sell hosting space, a lot of them do package deals with domain+web hosting.

Associate
~£3pa will get you a .uk domain name, then just use Google Apps to handle your email, it's free and gives you full POP3/IMAP access and the best webmail interface available. Don't bother with the shared web hosting most providers will want to sell you if all you want to do is host a few files, do that somewhere else.

Associate
i use heart internet for my domains and got no complaints, they've also got an option to have the domain auto configured for use with google apps aswell which is a plus

Soldato
Check out the OCHostReview site, which was originally set up for OcUK members to review their favourite hosts. I used it a couple of years ago and decided on TSOHost. Not the very cheapest but great allowances for the price (10GB hdd space and 150GB/month bandwidth) and the support (email and freephone number) is brilliant should you ever need it. They're currently rated #1 on the OCHost site btw. :)

Just set up a hosting account with them, buy a domain (either with them, or transfer it across to them) and then set up your email accounts in CPanel. Done. :D

Soldato
OP
Check out the OCHostReview site, which was originally set up for OcUK members to review their favourite hosts. I used it a couple of years ago and decided on TSOHost. Not the very cheapest but great allowances for the price (10GB hdd space and 150GB/month bandwidth) and the support (email and freephone number) is brilliant should you ever need it. They're currently rated #1 on the OCHost site btw. :)

Just set up a hosting account with them, buy a domain (either with them, or transfer it across to them) and then set up your email accounts in CPanel. Done. :D

£5.99 for 2 years, not expensive at all might go with these guys then :)

Soldato
Can these guys host ftp for me too?

Yeah you can do what you like with your space and FTP is built into it by default. Alongside the usual backup and binary directories, I have:

/archive (storage, documents/photos backup etc)
/ftp/* (music, software, video etc - account holders only)
/public_html (web stuff)

You can set it up how you like it, including FTP accounts and limits, email accounts, etc all from within CPanel. It's very easy to do.

Soldato
OP
Just looking the lite package only gives 500mb of webspace, would that only give me 500mb of ftp space? Sorry bit of a noob with all this atm

EDIT: Having said that I may just setup ftp on my home machine for the time being

Last edited:
Associate
ukreg for domains, google apps for email, and check ocukhostreview for hosting (dont forget to search for discount vouchers too.

when looking for domain registrar, the cheapest is not always best, as some charge you a fee to move your domain elsewhere in the future. I use ukreg as they are pretty cheap and don't tie u in.

Soldato
Just looking the lite package only gives 500mb of webspace, would that only give me 500mb of ftp space? Sorry bit of a noob with all this atm

EDIT: Having said that I may just setup ftp on my home machine for the time being

Yes, the package size is the total size available to you on the server. I pay for the Pro package at £4.99 a month. It's not the cheapest but it comes with 10GB space, saturates my 50 meg line and has been rock solid in the ~2 years I've been with them.

Soldato
OP
thanks for your replies rain, I have gone for the lite package to start with, setup email and pointed a dns name at my home ftp server.

The support even from staff members on their forum is second to none, get company ;)

Back
Top Bottom