Obtaining medical records

Caporegime
Does anyone how much it costs to obtain a copy of your medical record? With X-rays and the like?

Can I just go into my GPs surgery and request them?

Thanks. :)

Soldato
Your probably best speaking to your GP.

As for x-rays, I don't believe these are kept as part of your medical records. That's why they give you digital copies on a DVD/CD or a traditional x-ray print. Unless you had it recently at a hospital, I'm not sure how easily you can retrieve them.

Soldato
Don't speak to the GP, speak to the practice receptionists. If it's from a hospital, speak to the medical records department. If it's a minor hospital, the medical records department will probably be at the main one in the area.

Soldato
If I've ever needed dates for innoculations, or details about hosptial operations and such like stuff I've rung up the local practice. The woman on recepetion is always happy to provide the details I need, if you want a hard copy they will probably be able to print something off for you.

As above, X-rays and scan results may be harder to find but then again I've never asked about that so who knows.

Start with your local practice and go from there.

Soldato
Don't speak to the GP, speak to the practice receptionists. If it's from a hospital, speak to the medical records department. If it's a minor hospital, the medical records department will probably be at the main one in the area.

That is what I was implying by speaking to a GP.
Not booking an appointment to actually waste a Doctor's time just to ask if you can have a copy of your medical records!

Associate
They don't have to show you them if you just ask, you should file a formal Freedom of Information request with the NHS trust which your records are held (normally can be done on their website but depends on Trust) and they will then send you a copy of your record as long as there isn't a justifiable reason not to.

I work for the NHS, just had my mand and stat refresher on friday. Who knew it would come in use so quick. :)

Caporegime
OP
OK guys thanks for the replies.

And no I didn't mean going to ask my GP personally but the reception people there, going in on Tuesday any way, so will ask and in the mean time look into kip's suggestion. :)

Soldato
They don't have to show you them if you just ask, you should file a formal Freedom of Information request with the NHS trust which your records are held (normally can be done on their website but depends on Trust) and they will then send you a copy of your record as long as there isn't a justifiable reason not to.

I work for the NHS, just had my mand and stat refresher on friday. Who knew it would come in use so quick. :)
I thought the Data Protection Act means that if you formally request a copy from your GP (unless it would harm your health to do so) they are obliged to give you the info - though can charge admin costs.

As a vague guide the GPs I have worked at have charged between £5 and £50 for GP records (depending on level of detail, i.e. to get a brief summary record would be cheap cause it basically just involves pressing a few buttons, to get a copy of your entire record would be quite time consuming so costs more)

To get a copy of your hospital records would be considerably more time-consuming, and so much so as to often make it impractical (plus it largely wouldn't fall inder DPA).

Our trust charges £20 for a CDROM copy of Xrays and the like from radiology, and you can get the form from the department - as is true of most hospitals, though may require authorisation

Back
Top Bottom