• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

going from Nvidia to ATI....

Man of Honour
Would make more sense now to buy a 5850 imo. The reason a lot of people bought 5770 CF setups was due to low availability on the 58x0 parts previously.

Soldato
Yeah go for a 5850 for now, would be quite a big upgrade and by the end of the year they probably go down by like £50 or so.Also switching from Nvidia to ATI is very simple, just remove Nvidia drivers via control panel add/remove programmes listing, shutdown pc, remove Nvidia card, put ATI card in and install the Catalyst drivers.(no need for driver sweeper or whatever, i did this way going from a GTX275 to a 5870 and have had zero issues with windows 7)

Soldato
I went from a 8800GT to a HD5770 and had zero problems on Windows 7 64bit which is to be expected since some people have bought an ATI DX11 card last year and kept their old Geforce card to do PhysX.

If I remember correctly Microsoft have designed Windows 7 to be able to run two different sets of video drivers without them conflicting but I have read about people having problems where they have used Driver Sweeper on Windows 7 which has deleted files in the system directory that's lead to big problems.

Associate
[snip] If I remember correctly Microsoft have designed Windows 7 to be able to run two different sets of video drivers without them conflicting [snip]

You are correct, win7 is indeed capable of running 2 sets of video drivers at the same time as further evidenced by some of the newer laptops having both an integrated intel and a nvidia discrete GPU, switching between the two on the fly to save power.

That being said, it's always wise to keep things as clean as possible by removing redundant drivers. Though there is absolutely no need to have a fresh install for the purpose alone, that's just excessive.

- Ordokai

Back
Top Bottom