Spec me a calibrator for my NEC EA231WMi

Associate
Hey everyone,

Recently I upgraded from a string of TN panels to my current NEC EA231WMi and have been sufficiently impressed with the colour accuracy to date. However, I've been asked to photograph a pair of weddings over the Summer, and as they are both good friends, I want to make sure that the prints resemble the last degree of my editing, so I think a calibrator would be a wise investment.

I'm looking for something that's solid value, but not neccesarily cheap. I'm spending a fair amount on new lenses and equipment for the occasion so in the scale of things it's not a huge expenditure, but on the other hand I don't want to burn money getting one that's twice the price but only a teensy bit better.

I'd appreciate your thoughts OcUK gurus! :):)

Thanks,
P.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How do you mean fewer X-Rite uses? I've had mine for several years now and it's been used fairly heavily on each monitor i have owned or have used/tested!

2nd hand though they're hard to come by purely because they're so good and nobody ever needs to get rid of them :p

edit: please don't offer licensed software

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've had Spyder before too :p

I think most people just get a Spyder because it's more readily available and more common among users. The X-Rite costs virtually the same but has remained the better colorimeter all these years!

Lacie's Blue Eye Pro software uses the i1Display2 as its probe. Lacie (when they get round to it) can send you a link to the software like they did with me ages ago and I just email them asking for updates every few months.

The Lacie software makes the best use of the Display2 and provides the most accurate calibration as well as reporting.

Most good review sites will be using this software to review monitors pre/post calibration as well :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh I didn't realise that. When I checked during my contact with Lacie the software wasn't for sale, it was the probe (which comes with the software) and since it's the exact same probe as the i1display2... :)

I suppose anyone who does want it just send a support email to Lacie and ask for the latest Windows version, I'm sure they'll be able to help again.

Soldato
Xirte i1 paired with Color Eyes Display Pro if you can stretch for the extra software. It's pretty much the best of the low end bunch with everything taken into account (useability, accuracy, multi monitor support should you require it, etc).

Soldato
Oh I didn't realise that. When I checked during my contact with Lacie the software wasn't for sale, it was the probe (which comes with the software) and since it's the exact same probe as the i1display2... :)

I suppose anyone who does want it just send a support email to Lacie and ask for the latest Windows version, I'm sure they'll be able to help again.

Did you find out if you can get the software seperately?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Was I supposed to?!

If people do want it just contact Lacie and say you're looking to update to the latest version of blue eye pro. They have live links they send out.

Soldato
Sorry - not you specifically. Just a few people have suggested using LaCie software with other devices, but I'm still not convinced you can acquire LaCie software on its own. They make by far the best colorimeter software (in my opinion). I have some other probes lying about that are not LaCie ones and I'd love to know if I could acquire the software on its own.

Back
Top Bottom