Steering in NFS Shift

Soldato
Hey Dudes

Bought Shift today as I was looking for a new racing game and didnt like the look of Dirt and already got Grid. Game runs smooth and visually I find it easy to play. The controls are good too apart from the steering which is shocking!

Now before everyone starts saying that I need to set my cars up properly let me explain. When I say the steering is shocking I dont mean the car setups, I mean the lag behind the steering. Either keyboard or my controller pad, I either get no steering at all or my tail is out on every car.

I bought the Focus ST to start with and noticed the issue, I mucked about with the car settings to get it right but nothing changed it or even helped. I started to fiddle with the controls such as percentages of steering and stuff (under Gameplay and Adjust Controls) but nothing in there seems to help either. With full or minimum on everything trying different combinations, it always is either nothing or everything, it really makes the game unenjoyable to play.

So basically is there something I am doing wrong or is this an issue? I have reset the controls and everything many times but nothing has made it better. I have played most NFS games, Gran Tursimo game, Forza and Grid and I know you need to get used to a game, but this is so fustriating it doesnt seem natural. Oh and yes I have tried multiple cars on the game, not just the ST and they all do it.

Ideas?

Soldato
This is an issue with the game, apparently not so with the consoles though i've not tried both yet.

A wheel is supposed to improve it dramatically but the KB and pad controls are shocking really. You can get half decent at it with a bit of practice but you're always driving around the limitations rather than enjoying exploiting the cars.

You'll find a lot of people making similar criticism in the big NFS Shift thread.

Soldato
Me included, the game is totally desperate with a pad, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When the shift championship was on here, I couldn't get close to the competitive times, not sure if it's a bug but I'm usually well up there on racing games. I have yet to try a wheel, so I'll try my DFGT this week sometime.

Associate
i'm not too hot at racing games but never had any probs controlling any of the cars with an xbox360 pad. vista 64bit if that is anything to do with it driver-wise or something?

you sure it's not more to do with throttle / break control? try turning the driving aids on low to see if it helps.

Soldato
OP
That is really dissappointing. I dont really want to have to settle for a broken game. Can anyone else confirm that the 360pad is better? If it is I can get one quiet cheaply, I dont really have the money for a wheel.

Soldato
I was referring to the 360 pad, it's gash with the game imo, I can't see how any other pad would be any better. Don't waste your money on one just for that. It's probably the best pad for the pc in general though.

Soldato
A wheel is the best for total game immersion, that's what I use.
As far as the 360 pad, one only has to look at Nikaz's top scoring results almost every race and his overall championship wins to know that it works well, because that's what he uses. At the end of the day though, it's all about what you get used to, and importantly, setting up the deadzones and sensitivities correctly, or rather, to your liking. Smeaney, check out some of the NFS championship threads, there's a few replies where set up tips have been posted for wheels and pads. That should help you.

Back
Top Bottom