Opera 10.60 Alpha 1

Soldato
So its what we've all been waiting for, no not Israel's attack on aid ships, but the first alpha build of the next step in the Opera browser: 10.60 Alpha 1.

I'm quite happy to be playing with the latest Opera builds and find them quite stable considering they are pre-release, although I'll admit to being frustrated by the bug in the 10.50 line where Opera will crash if I open several tabs in quick succession by typing in the bookmark shortcuts.

So say I open a tab and type 'news' for the BBC News site and then a new tab with 'sport' for BBC Sport then 'fh' and 'lh' in new tabs for FileHippo.com and Lifehacker.com respectively Opera will, more often than not, crash instantly. I've no idea why its happening and what should be causing it. But, and its a big Beyonce Knowles' sized but, that seems to less of a problem in 10.60. The menu in 10.60 is easier to see, they've added "Menu" to the big red O menu tab. :p

I've only been using the 10.60 Alpha 1 build for a few hours but it feels more reliable and sturdy than any 10.5x build, even the official releases! I'm not sure about speed improvements as I've not done any Sunspider etc tests and it doesn't really feel faster or slower in general loading of pages than 10.50 but I'm not sure its possible to sense a massive change in the speed of page loading when you're talking about millseconds to load pages anyway.

I thought I'd make a new 10.60 thread so we can discuss the new builds that'll end up making the new Opera browser and seeing what we like, or dislike, about changes, additions and subtractions from 10.50.

This thread isn't for any Opera v rest of browsers or "Yeah but no but yeah Chrome is the dog's nuts" discussion so can we leave that for another thread. I'd also like to see Mr Greenlizard0 see if this build does anything to improve on his dire Flash performance with Opera of late. :)

All that remains is for me to link to the new build and maybe post a changelog.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/05/31/opera-10-60-alpha-1

Changelog

Desktop/UI
Updated version number to 10.60
Use icons instead of thumbnails for some internal tab types, such as mail and downloads
Fixed DSK-239575 (Zoom box in email compose page is broken)
Fixed DSK-284115 (Mail not re-indexed after removing lexicon)
Fixed DSK-285118 (Tab chrome is missing for restored tab when new tab is opened in background)
Fixed DSK-288581 (MathML entities don't work in Opera 10.5x)
Fixed DSK-290704 (Make scrollbar knob bigger with big pages)
Fixed DSK-291718 (Minimized Opera not restored when opening external link)
Fixed DSK-292233 (Opera crashes on uninstalling widgets via the panel)
Fixed DSK-292307 (Can't remove widgets with Cyrillic name)
Fixed DSK-295244 (Inspect Element should not be the last item in Image Properties)
Fixed DSK-296724 (Crash viewing Opera skin images on a page while using the Omelion skin)
Fixed DSK-297250 (Opera crashes in Save As and Open dialogs)
Fixed DSK-297282 (Crash on right clicking Google Earth plugin)
Fixed DSK-297390 (Issues with focus in Google Earth plugin)
Fixed DSK-297560 (Missing toolbar after starting with new page if source viewer was previously active tab)

Speed Dial
Fixed DSK-293919 (Dragging speed dial entry to another position executes default action on target in addition to dropping)
Fixed DSK-297432 (Close button: Visual glitch)
Fixed DSK-297814 (Background of Speed Dial dialogs too transparent)
Fixed DSK-298063 (When Speed Dial is set Read Only, no titles are shown)
Fixed DSK-298098 (Visual degradation when setting opacity to a low value (disabling opacity for now))
Fixed DSK-298364 (Crash when hovering Speed Dial tab)
Fixed DSK-299663 (Buttons at the bottom overlap when height is reduced)

Core
Fixed CORE-192 (Remove support for div nowrap)
Fixed CORE-1386 (MouseEvent and UIEvent interfaces not exposed)
Fixed CORE-14878 (0.01% height of auto in standards mode should compute to auto but doesn't (Picasa))
Fixed CORE-19575 (E-mail contact importer on www.hi5.com triggers file download)
Fixed CORE-19880 (Don't differentiate between shrink-to-fit and table cell content width propagation)
Fixed CORE-20102 (Absolutely positioned element inside bottom absolutely positioned element doesn't redraw when moved)
Fixed CORE-20449 (--!> and --\s*> do not close a comment)
Fixed CORE-21628 (Scripts hang at www.toshiba.co.jp (plugin related))
Fixed CORE-22498 (location.replace in iframe turns previously initiated location.href assignment in parent into a replace)
Fixed CORE-22761 (Address shouldn't have padding)
Fixed CORE-22879 (Cell width larger than that of table if cell has nowrap should be respected only in quirks mode)
Fixed CORE-23522 (HTML5: Add support for onhashchange events)
Fixed CORE-23560 (Negative clip left/top value, larger than elements widht/height hides element)
Fixed CORE-23989 (Navigating to a different WML card via element doesn't work)
Fixed CORE-25367 (After acceptation of certificate, SSL negotiation fails in some circumstances)
Fixed CORE-25463 (Combination of z-index, display, overflow, position and float hides content at Google Wave)
Fixed CORE-25786 (Reading empty cookie value still appends = (jil.org))
Fixed CORE-26001 (CSS selector matching performance improvement)
Fixed CORE-26027 (Caret appears in the wrong position if put in an empty block beside a float (new reply on Google Wave))
Fixed CORE-26647 (Freeze caused by nesting positioned and non-positioned elements)
Fixed CORE-26674 (Content overflowing content edge but not padding edge triggers scrollbar for overflow:auto)
Fixed CORE-26824 (Mouse coordinates wrongly reported to Flash)
Fixed CORE-27299 (Zimbra: UI freezes when closing calendar item - history.back() causes unload event)
Fixed CORE-27385 (Can't install Skandiabanken CA certificate)
Fixed CORE-27402 (Navigator mimeTypes description is wrong)
Fixed CORE-27532 (liveConnect TCs show undefined until Reload)
Fixed CORE-27600 (Odd XSLT behaviour with (non-URI) ihost names)
Fixed CORE-27693 (Cant view Google Pistview - document.readyState can revert to "interactive" from "completed" when content is added to the DOM)
Fixed CORE-27730 (Nested positioned descendants of inline-block fails to redraw)
Fixed CORE-27774 (Float and clear tests regressed - empty line inserted)
Fixed CORE-27826 (Nested positioned descendants of inline-block with z-index fails to redraw)
Partially Fixed CORE-27877 (The separator between attributes and params should be PARAM:null, not PARAM:"")
Fixed CORE-27900 (Animated Harmonograph Experiment not animated)
Fixed CORE-28143 (Unexpected 14px offsetTop for page when close a inner window for web.qq.com)
Fixed CORE-28213 (Danskebank not working - let document.domain affect frame navigation policy)
Fixed CORE-28444 (Windowless plugin desynchronizes with page after scrolling)
Fixed CORE-28845 (Don't set the focus on DocumentEdit when handling an onfocus event on the body)
Fixed CORE-28943 (Can't enable plugin by clicking arrow on this page (EnableOnDemandPlugin/EnableOnDemandPluginPlaceholder))
Fixed CORE-29028 (Optimize premultiplication of decoded images)
Fixed DSK-275537 (Chinese IME causes Opera to crash when typing on tieba.baidu.com)
Fixed CORE-30034 (Webstorage crash)

Windows
Fixed DSK-294923 (Disable taskbar thumbnails by default and make an option in preferences)

Mac
Fixed DSK-299441 (Drop JEP in favour of javaplugin2 (ns4) – more info)
Fixed DSK-299267 (Slow element reflow with some italic fonts)
Fixed DSK-298779 (Pinch to zoom gesture in compose screen crashes Opera)

Soldato
Opera is one of those bits of software that does nothing wrong, yet so far hasn't offered enough to displace what I'm using already. I download the alpha and I quite like it - there are some nice features on there. I tried Opera last year and when I opened it up I was like "wow... clutter", but they seem to have gotten to grips on that and these later releases look a lot cleaner. I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade for real Opera users. :D

Slightly off-topic but I really like Opera on the iPhone. Page rendering is a bit (lot) iffy but I can't fault it for speed.

Soldato
I had an issue with the last Opera I used where any Facebook chat windows would scroll to the top automatically, so if someone replied to me, I would have to scroll all the way down to see what they've just said.

Any of you guys use Facebook and can test that out? Would do it myself but I'm off to bed and I'm currently in Linux Mint.

Man of Honour
I had an issue with the last Opera I used where any Facebook chat windows would scroll to the top automatically, so if someone replied to me, I would have to scroll all the way down to see what they've just said.

Among other things this is something that happens to me, no biggy though I just use Facebook's chat function in Trillian.

Looking forward to 10.6, 10.53 was finally stable after I couldn't use any of the previous 10.5x installations.

I'd also like to see Mr Greenlizard0 see if this build does anything to improve on his dire Flash performance with Opera of late. :)

I gotta be honest I'm not optimistic. :p I have IE8 permanently open now anyway for Tesco, iPlayer and SkyPlayer.

Last edited:
Associate

Any of you guys use Facebook and can test that out? Would do it myself but I'm off to bed and I'm currently in Linux Mint.

Looks pretty fixed to me :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'll try it and compare it between Chrome 6 (dev channel) and my Firefox primary 3.6.4 but not even the mighty Chrome can pull me away from Firefox until BBCODE and FireFTP make their way to Opera/Chrome (unlikely in the former any time soon lol).

Associate
I love operas mini browser on the phone, but it doesnt offer me an amazing reason to switch from firefox on the desktop!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
lolinternetexplorer.png

^ My performance results for 10.6 were impressive I have to say. Still, no switch until it gets extensions!

Soldato
I have been using the Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 for a while now and it's superb. Incredibly stable, much more so than Opera 10.50. I really like the change they have made to the red tab located at the top left hand side. I also like the changes they have made to the Speed Dial feature as well as the tab animations. It's shaping up to be an excellent web browser. :)

Back
Top Bottom