SFF PC's you are still running

Associate
We went through a period where everyone was SFF crazy - new models popped up from Shuttle, Aopen, Biostar, MSI, etc. even Epox (RIP) had a go! They are great compact machines!

So which ones have you still got lying around the place and what do you use them for?
How reliable were they?

I have an Aopen XC Cube EX18 and a Biostar IDEQ 210N.

The Aopen is a nForce2 model with mobile Barton at 2.2Ghz, used as a MAME and retrogaming console. Still works perfectly to this day for such tasks.

The Biostar is an nForce3 with Athlon64 at 2.2Ghz, has a x800 Pro and is used for playing older 3D games in XP and, gasp, Windows 98SE!!! Yes, drivers still existed for this machine supporting Windows 98SE back then.

Never felt the need to upgrade them, and never felt the need to build faster SFF's as these both do the job well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons the market died down - people got the novelty factor out the way with.

Soldato
Shuttle SB75G2 with a P4 3ghzHT 9600xt used as my backup work pc, also as it runs xp has a lot of my old games on it.
Shuttle SB61G2 with celeron and onboard in a SB75G2 case (mobo died) was going to be a router project but never finished it.

Associate
I still use my Shuttle SN41GV2 / built in GF4MX (think it's a 4?) / 484Mb / 1.2Ghz Duron for everything HTPC wise. It will even play 60% of my 720p x264 rips properly. Getting a bit long in the tooth for 1080p or new 720p rips though. Keep on meaning to upgrade but everythings mostly overkill.

Associate
OP
So, no one running an SFF as a retro console/computer for playing older games amd emulators on? Along with some arcade sticks and pads, I think they're ideal. :)

I did my 'virgin' build from OcUK on an SB61G2 Shuttle at the end of 2003. It contained a hyperthreaded P4 2800 MHz The machine stayed strong for 6½ years then I sold it just after Easter time this year. The guy who bought it off me gave me good feedback, so still going strong.

I bought a new AMD-based Shuttle from OcUK 6 months ago which is now my main PC.

Associate
OP
i had one of those (aopen ex18) still running strong but now my dads machine
currently running a shuttle sg33g5 with quad core not latest tech but it pretty quick

The EX18 is a solid machine. The nForce2 chipset was ideal for SFF PC's, with its integrated features and graphics that used dual channel memory (one of the dual 64bit controllers) to massively improve integrated graphics performance.

It works so well with mobile bartons - very cool and quiet. You can tell by reading the credits in the Bios a lot of love went into designing that machine.

The modern SFF's - shuttle sg33g5 for instence - what are they like? Are you limited to what graphics cards you can run in them due to there huge power requirements these days?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've recently sold on my SN41G2 that is now being used as the sole PC by the new owner.

Specs: Athlon Barton core XP2500+, 1GB Corsair TwinX PC2700, Samsung 160GB SpinPoint, onboard graphics using 32MB (what do other use?), 250W PSU, Windows XP Home.

Sort of regret getting rid of it as a spare, but having a laptop backup is a greater space saver.

Associate
I am typing this on a SD37P2 with E6700, 2Gb of Corsair DDR800, Sapphire 4650 (upgraded from XTX1950 late last year) and a couple of Raptors via Win 7.

This machine has been rock solid for a long time now, the only problem was a conked out Raptor which WD kindly replaced with a Velociraptor.

In the back room I have another SD37P2, again with E6700 and 2Gb Corsair DDR800. This machine was watercooled but is now stripped down and awaiting a new GFX card, possibly 5850 if they fit. This was my gaming PC and has given sterling service.

I built my mum a SK41G with Athlon 2600+, 2Gb Geil DDR400 RAM, 500Gb WD HD and an GeForce 6200 passively cooled card. This is her sole PC and is still chugging along.

I have few whinges about Shuttle, I like them.

Soldato
Main system is in an SG05.

Next upgrade will be something along the following lines.

- Quad core Core i5
- 8GB DDR3
- Next-gen ATI graphics card (cannot be longer than HD5850)
- Larger SSD

Back
Top Bottom