Faster Broadband - anything I can do?

Soldato
Hi All

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the speed of my broadband?

Currently I'm on Demon Broadband and get download speeds that average out at about 350K a seond, which isn't to bad really but seeing as I pay for "up to 8meg" broadband, is there anything I can do to improve matters?

When I first got the broadband where I am, I used a DMT tool on my router to tweak snr ratios etc (I think I'm remembering correctly...) but although it increased my speeds a little, the router kept crashing due to a firmware issuse. this issue was solved with an update but the DMT tool was not functional with the new firmware so I oculdn't tinker anymore.

My router is a speedtouch v585, which I'm perfectly happy with really as it seems to function nicely and is very stable now.

If there is nothing I can do (which I'm guessing is the case) is there anything I might be able to upgrade to- ie different form of broadband that might be faster?

Valve

Soldato
wheres your router plugged into, if its its not plugged straight into the master socket, undo the face plate and plug it in there see if it helps any.

also, would be worth posting your router stats for Db ratios etc too see what the line is like.

Associate
A BT i-plate may solve issues, this disconnects a ringer wire which is not needed now for modern telephones and often causes line interference.

As mentioned above make sure you are using the master socket in your house.

What speed are you getting and what is your distance from the exchange? It may be the case that you are getting the max speed you can, check with neighbours and see what speed they get.

Soldato
OP
Router is plugged into my only phone socket (just in the normal slot, not the test socket)

WIll post up router stats whenI get home

Must admit I don't actually know where my local exchange is or how far away I am from it. How can I find out?

I have a feeling this is about the max speed I'm going to get on my line as I seem to remember that when I was tweaking my router to start with people said my line was quite noisy...

Also, just went to both BT and BE to see what their predicted speeds are for my line. BT said 2.5meg...BE said 4meg....so I'm guessing i'm not going to get anything much better than I've got already....

Back
Top Bottom