Wireless up my parents house

Soldato
Hi guys,

I come back to my parents house every now and again and get annoyed when I have to go upto the spare bedroom if I want to use the internet for a while, I've decided it will be much easier to just get them some wireless so we can use it around the house (laptop/iphone etc)

They have cable (Virgin), I don't need anything mega expensive as it won't be used a lot, just something that will be good for a couple of weekends a month!

The main PC will be be wired into the device and iphone/laptops/MBP will all be wireless.

I saw this on the OcUK website http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-082-BE but i'm abit unsure what wireless N is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Wireless N is greatest better performance than Wireless G as I had a wireless N and never had any problem with it, never lose connection. Go and buy N wireless router, the best one is Netgear DG834N N wireless as it had Broadcom chipset which it very good for ADSL2+.

Associate
Wireless N is greatest better performance than Wireless G as I had a wireless N and never had any problem with it, never lose connection. Go and buy N wireless router, the best one is Netgear DG834N N wireless as it had Broadcom chipset which it very good for ADSL2+.

They are on cable, so the broadcom chipset make no difference to them.

What speed cable are they on?

Associate
I suspect on a 10mb package they should be able to get a free wireless N router if they phone up and ask.

They offer them to new customers so I can't see why you can't persuade them to send you one.http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264&buspart=Portal_HP_1_4

They provide Dlink DIR-615 routers which are fairly standard and do the job. I've used on on a Virgin 50mb connection and it just about coped so it should be a dream for you so long as the walls in the house aren't to thick or solid brick.

Back
Top Bottom