What would you do......

Associate
On Friday a new family moved in upstairs from me.

On Saturday night at 10:30pm a guy entered my flat when we were sitting watching television. When I dived at him he was really apologetic. His English was very poor so I let it go and assumed it was my new neighbour and he had made a genuine mistake.

Now my problem......

The floor on the flat above me creaks really loud when anyone walks on it and wakes me up during the night. Since Friday I have hardly slept a wink.

The new family appear to be Muslim and must be up praying during the night. They are praying directly above my bedroom which will also be their bedroom. To make matters worse they must wake up their young child who after praying runs a couple of dozen laps of the flat.

Now I know their religion requires them to pray five times a day so I'm not sure how to handle this.

Do you think its ok for me to ask them if they could perhaps pray in a different room or would that be an insult to them?

I go on holiday at the end of the week and wondering if I should maybe leave it until I get back.

We love the flat and don't want to move. What do you think I should do?

Soldato
Depends if they use just the one room and don't have space elsewhere. You could always ask, aslong as it's possible for them to pray in the direction of the Ka'ba.

Permabanned
I wouldnt assume they are praying, simple ask them when you get back to try and keep the noise down at night because of the thin floors. Do it nicely and they will probably oblige or explain what is going on...go in heavy handed and get nowhere especially making assumptions because of an assumed regigious connection!

Associate
OP
The flats have two bedrooms and are very spacious so I don't think space would be an issue.

I had made the assumption they were praying after checking UK prayer times and me being woken around these times. But your right it might have nothing to do with praying. I have no intention of going it heavy handed.

Soldato
They could be settling in still. Wait until after your holiday. If the problem persists talk to them about it. I wouldn't bring up your prayer/religious theory, just tell them about the creaking and sleepless nights.

Or leave a burning lower-case "t" by their front door, as in "time to leave".

Associate
Its not even in the least bit insulting for you to have a word with them about this.
Its not a sensitive issue, you're not asking them to stop praying. Just make them aware of the situation in a nice manner and i'm sure they'll understand.

Soldato
50 pence ear plugs. sorted

praying shoulnt exactly be noisy should it ? just be thankful its not a family of prostitutes

Soldato
I wouldnt assume they are praying, simple ask them when you get back to try and keep the noise down at night because of the thin floors. Do it nicely and they will probably oblige or explain what is going on...go in heavy handed and get nowhere especially making assumptions because of an assumed regigious connection!
This^
I know a few muslims, and as far as I know they don't pray late at night

Soldato
How old is their child? Maybe they aren't waking the child up but the child is waking up in the night? Not much you can do about that tbh.

Associate
The prostitutes could be quite handy I suppose.

Muslims are required to pray twice during the night. Fajr and Sunrise prayers.

Nope. Only fajr, which is before dawn. Thats the only compulsory prayer that you'd need to wake up in the middle of the night (in summer anyway) for.
Should take 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom