Corsair XMS2 faulty?

Associate
Copied a large file and checked the MD5, it didn't match so tried again and still the copied file was corrupt. So ran memtest and it's showing errors. Is it RMA time?

Corsair XMS2 2GB (1x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 CM2X2G6400C5B4

20zaa2e.jpg

Soldato
Make sure you run RAM sticks at the rated voltage (it may not be default).

Try setting DRAM voltage to 1.9V (1.8V is default). Test 1 stick at a time. It would be really helpful if you could eliminate the mobo's failure by running it on another rig. Otherwise, RMA it.

Associate
OP
Doesn't look like I can manually set the voltage, the option is there but it's not selectable. I might have the wrong setting though?

Asus M4A785D-M PRO 785G

5eam1y.jpg

Associate
OP
Ah yes they do, you can tell I'm a pro at overclocking can't you. :)

Set it at 1.90500 but still errors, then tried it at 1.80000 and it failed on test 6 aswell as the usually test 7.

Corsair have now said they think it's a problem with the memory controler but they would like to replace it anyway.

I don't know what to do, the MOBO is under waranty still so I could RMA either.

Associate
If corsair are happy to RMA the RAM do it, but make sure you are in agreement with them that if they test the RAM and it is not at fault that you are not out of pocket, your statement seems to relate to this..

The thing about RMAing the mobo is that you haven't really tested is, coupled with the fact that ASUS RMA's are one of the worst to do, it takes a long time and you make have to fork out a fair bit of money if its tested to be working correctly.. This statement is from hear-say only not personal experience.

So I think you have 3 options,
1. Buy / Borrow some DDR2 to test if the controller is broken.
2. RMA the RAM with Corsair, you have tested and the technicians have already looked at your case on their forums.
3. RMA the mobo with Asus with no real testing of your own.

Unless you try the board with new RAM its not worth chasing ASUS for an RMA.

Good luck, stories like this help boost respect for the company's involved with their support/return system.

Associate
OP
iNPUt, thanks. I'll have a go at option 1 then 2 if necessary.

Phatzy/PiKe, the default voltage is 1.8v as far as I can prove. Please post evidence otherwise.

Associate
If everything is set to stock and as should be then any single error on memtest represents and error in the RAM of the DIMM socket. Try running each stick through memtest indervidually in the same DIMM to see if it's the DIMM or a certain stick.

Associate
OP
It's only a single stick and I've tried it in all DIMM's.

I just ordered a cheap 1GB stick of the bay to try and rule out the controller. If the RAM does need to go back at least then I'll have something to keep me going.

Will keep you posted, thanks for the help thus far. :)

Back
Top Bottom