My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
does a rotary have a PCV breather system?

It does yes, the outlet goes into the inlet on the turbo so potentially some of the oil maybe from that, when i get chance im gonna unplug it to see if it blows into a water bottle etc so ill know for definete, just havent had the chance, might do it tomorow

Just spotted this thread and read it all the way through. Fantastic project, keep us updated!

Thanks very much, ill let you know when any developments happen

Associate
OP
Well decided to have a play on the rollers today, basically to see if the little bit of tuning i had learned from mostly reading actually works....im hoping to get a proper wideband next month so wanted a controlled condition to have a mess till then.

So stuck it on the roller, not expecting a lot as its still on the basemap.

Start running up on the rollers and it runs lean, holds about 11.9-12afr in boost to high rpm, so back off.

Go to PIM voltage and changed to 110% for anything above 3v on the map sensor.

Do a quick pull to see where we stand and its 10.3-10.5, so super rich but gives us something to play with.

Do another full run, still on nearly stock boost(11psi) and does 326bhp@7300rpm and 287lb, but after looking at the graph power was still rising, only by maybe other 5bhp though as the torque is starting to drop off

So next run i try a bit more boost, from 0.75 to 0.81 on the power fc....try a run to find when the second turbo kicks in the wideband goes nuts and for the rest of the day we cant fix it, seems to pull a bit harder at first getting 299lb but then the boost started to drop off when the second turbo kicks in, meaning we only make 290bhp

Since i knew i only get 3 runs to perfect it this is my last run, because of this me being rather daft didnt realise how much fuel this messing about with things would use.....now got my fuel light on
redface.gif

So fiddle with the boost again to try and equal things out a bit.

Do the run, still cant tell what the high rpm fuelling is like but we guessed low 10s....so plenty more power to be made when i get a wideband.

Pulls cleanly till 6350rpm and then get a big misfire because the fuelpump has picked some air....meaning that im out of fuel haha.

Looking at the graph for the run, its much better, the torque hasnt dropped off and is level right until the misfire.

On that run it hit 270lb at4700rpm and held it flat to 6350rpm, the reason it was lower as i was hitting 0.1bar less on the first turbo but then holding the boost all the way.

At 6350 it made 334bhp with the power still sharply rising(as you can imagine with the torque being flat.

Looking at my other graphs at 7500rpm it would be making about 250lb which would be 357bhp....not sure if i can make it to that before i run out of injector though.....thats running potentially low 10 afrs aswell so with a low 11afr it is possible with even more power.

This is of course all hipothetical mind, but shows the engine has potential even at 0.8bar with a rubbish map.

Im sure if i had a proper mapping session with it(with a working wideband) then could get a lot of power out of this.

Associate
OP
Well ill take 5% of the fuel out through the range when i get a wideband, id imagine from that i should pick up 10-15bhp, since its running very safe timing theres another 10bhp at least there.

The upping the boost from 0.8 to 1bar should gain another 40bhp

Basically it should do 400bhp, but will need bigger injectors or a big bump in fuel pressure to get there.

After that then single turbo power is 700bhp :)

Associate
OP
Yep, stock injectors. IIRC I was close to maxing them out.

thats not bad going, cant wait till i get a wideband so i can tune it properly myself, it running 12afr on boost shows why it was so quick at pod, running that lean is dancing with fire though.

Im gonna have it running 11-11.2 which should be a nice medium, i know ive got at least 10% more fuel to play with when i do it properly so 380bhp should be a achievable.

If i get to that point and want more power on twins then ill stick some big ones in

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
thats not bad going, cant wait till i get a wideband so i can tune it properly myself, it running 12afr on boost shows why it was so quick at pod, running that lean is dancing with fire though.

Yeah, it was very nice to drive, was mapped beautifully. It was mapped by an old acquaintance of mine ('Greg', he maps for RX Motors). It had a fairly aggressive street-port job too, again by RX Motors.

I miss that car :(

Associate
OP
Im still hoping to do it for £10k including buying the car, thats my goal, if i go over by £500 then so be it but ill try my best not to.

Its quite along thread but its worth it, i go back to reread what i have put to see if theres any ideas that come to mind etc

Soldato
I have quite a lot of oil in my intake too,do rotaries blow much more out? Running it to a catch tank might be better then letting it act as extra lubrication, there'll be exhaust gas in there too.

Oooh, and if you want rich mixtures look at out Formula Student car at the moment, 8.9 AFR. Will need to plug the laptop in and get it to something like 12 before the test on Sunday, just a safe setting while we haven't got a rolling road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom