Can I cook a pizza on a BBQ?

Soldato
So here's the emergency - I am staying in a hotel which has a kitchenette and without looking I assumed there was an over (it's turned out to be a dishwasher ffs!!) ... very silly...

But I now have a really nice looking oven pizza that I want to eat! I have access to a grill/bbq with a lid - can I somehow cook the pizza on there? Or will the base burn too quickly....

argh!!

Soldato
OP
so it sounds like my instinct on the base burning is right!?

Also... yes I know one of the silliest things I've done in a while! Didn't look closely enough just assumed a big black thing was an oven haha....

Take away pizza seems to be the way forward! what a tit!

Associate
Pizza Stone, i get the idea but really it is just going to fail.
Save the pizza get takeaway!
Microwave the pizza if desperate?

Or you could try make a grill out of the BBQ, turn it upside down, some how get it stay like this make sure the grill stays in place for the coals to sit on get it lit and put the pizza underneath it.
Job done......ha if only.

Soldato
On some show the other week, a local fish mongers was saying how you can cook a massive peice of fish in a dish washer by wrappping it up in foil and then sticking it on the dry cycle. That might work?

Man of Honour
I appreciate that Aberdeen can appear to be a bit backwards but surely they've not been remiss enough to ignore the advent of the oven entirely? :p

As said though you should be able to cook a pizza with a barbeque but I'd use the foil suggestion, particularly if the heat regulation isn't great.

Man of Honour
Pizza Stone, i get the idea but really it is just going to fail.

Not it won't, youtube it, or listen to Heston. It's a very good way of cooking pizza as it is hotter than a conventional oven. Heat and pizza go well together. proper clay wood ovens are in the region of 400 Celsius+

Far better than microwaving it. Good god that would be terrible.

Last edited:
Associate
Tested repeatedly with standard pizzas from tescos last summer.

Items required:

2x Disposable BBQs with Stands (the rubbish metal stands that sit 3" off the floor)

Pizza obviously not frozen.

Method:

You light one of the BBQs and take the grill from another place the stands on top of the lit BBQs and the grill ontop of that, this will be the cooking surface it is just needed to raise the pizza that bit extra above the coals.

Hold your palm level with the cooking area, if you can't hold it for longer than 5 seconds its time to cook, there is a fault tolerance in this obviously some people can't take heat others can - its what worked for me.

Put the pizza ontop and let it cook, due to the height the heat will melt the cheese ontop and cook the pizza.

Food Poisoning testing was inconclusive, no one has got sick but this was with pre cooked pizza.

Try it ;)

Back
Top Bottom