Question about RAID and Controllers

Associate
Hi Guys,

Im using an Asus P5Q mobo with the integrated (intel?) RAID to create a RAID 1 array.

a friend of mine told me that if the mobo died or if i replaced it I would lose the array, but if i used a controller card - the array would stay to the card, so if i moved the card and disks to another mobo the array would stay intact.

can anyone confirm this for me please?

Soldato
You could replace it with another mobo that uses the same family of controllers.

Arrays aren't tied to any device but they won't work with a different sort of controller entirely.

Associate
OP
Having a RAID array on a separate controller does mean that you can move it easily from one machine to another. However it's not perfect - if the card dies you're still stuffed.

thanks for confirming...hhmmm you get more options with the card but is it worth the £100 quid or so for one...

You could replace it with another mobo that uses the same family of controllers.

Arrays aren't tied to any device but they won't work with a different sort of controller entirely.

I'm using the raid in my ICH10, do you reckon in the future it could be moved onto something like an ICH11 (when/if it comes out)?

Back
Top Bottom