Android on HTC HD2?

Soldato
I've had my HD2 for a while now. Not really done much with it in regard to apps/flashing etc. I've had a look through the huge thread and looks like there's a few useful jobbies on there, but I'm looking at being a bit more brutal. I'm hugely disappointed with Windows Mobile. The thing just crashes all the time. Get a text? Reboot. Want to browse for more than ten minutes? Reboot. Phone been on longer than 10 hours? Reboot.

Apologies if there's information on here about this topic but I just can't find it.

Ideally what I'd like to do is back up the image I have on my phone atm, to preserve WM and my Contacts should I wish to revert back. I then want to put Google Android on as long as I can definitely sync my Contacts back from Outlook. Linking to Facebook profiles would also be a bonus.

I've googled and the majority of information is for the US market and I'm not 100% if the versions posted will go on the HD2, and I don't want to borf things up. Have any of you UK mobile boffins done what I'm after? Would love it if anyone could help, and on the off chance that someone who has already done it basically gives me step by step instructions with links to everything I need then I'll ship you some cash.

Thanks in advance :)

Man of Honour
Unfortunately, it isn't possible at the moment and any development for it that I can see, has been stopped.

It appears it was just too much effort for not much gain :(

Get it sold and get yourself a Desire :)

Man of Honour
Hm, you are looking at £140-160 ish cash from phone trade in web sites.

And around £230 on eBay (that will vary on a lot of things though, it's hard to pin down a price there).

Bear in mind you'll save any potential hassle that comes with eBay phone sales via the phone trade in site method.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your help. I'm on holiday for a fortnight then when I come back I'll trade it in and may even revert back to a 0-9 keyboard phone. Totally cba with phones now in my old age :p

Man of Honour
Well, I'd give the Desire a look, some really good deals on it and I think it's the best all round phone at the moment for everyone - especially now it's USB Brick problem is fixed, so all the Developers can go wild :D

Soldato
OP
Just wanted make a quick post for anyone in the same boat as me.

I did some reading yesterday and decided to flash my "crap" HTC HD2. The xda-developers website is the nuts! I've updated the boot loader, radio and ROM and am now running the "Energy - cookie" ROM on my phone and WOW! It's like a new phone!

Amazingly happy with about an hours reading and then an hour backing up and flashing my phone. Sounds daunting but really isn't. Undoubtedly my phone was a real dog but a little bit of work and now it's great! Very happy :)

Caporegime
Just wanted make a quick post for anyone in the same boat as me.

I did some reading yesterday and decided to flash my "crap" HTC HD2. The xda-developers website is the nuts! I've updated the boot loader, radio and ROM and am now running the "Energy - cookie" ROM on my phone and WOW! It's like a new phone!

Amazingly happy with about an hours reading and then an hour backing up and flashing my phone. Sounds daunting but really isn't. Undoubtedly my phone was a real dog but a little bit of work and now it's great! Very happy :)

Welcome to the world of happy HD2 owners ;)

All those that moan about it stuck with the stock ROMs, which are indeed crap.

Caporegime
Welcome to the world of happy WinMo owners ;)

Fixed. ;)

I flashed my HD a couple of months after I got it and it went from a good, but slightly slow, phone to a brilliant one.:D

Soldato
Right I am ******** if I am going to let this beat me. I love my phone but if it could be better then I am game. I have an HD2 on Virgin with the details below for the ROM and radio. Are these generic files that I can get backups for? As far as I can see they are not Virgin specific but if someone could just put my mind at ease I would be grateful.

ROM 1.66.405.2 (76641) WWE
RADIO 2.06.51.07

Soldato
Managed to download my stock ROM off the main HTC site but what about the radio, would it be this one?

Leo_RADIO_15.30.50.07U_2.06.51.07 **(from HTCWT 1.61): MegaUpload - RapidShare

Associate
Welcome to the world of happy HD2 owners ;)

This! With such a fantastic resource like XDA, who needs winmo7 ;)

Good choice of ROM Bren, I am also running Energy with Cookies on the latest winmo build, much more finger friendly and customisable, it looks great and the phone is a pleasure to use :)

Associate
Right I am ******** if I am going to let this beat me. I love my phone but if it could be better then I am game. I have an HD2 on Virgin with the details below for the ROM and radio. Are these generic files that I can get backups for? As far as I can see they are not Virgin specific but if someone could just put my mind at ease I would be grateful.

ROM 1.66.405.2 (76641) WWE
RADIO 2.06.51.07

Use the Microsoft my phone to back up all your data, then just wizz to the XDA developers site,http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=531

First put hspl on the phone http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=611433
Then the latest radio http://www.4shared.com/file/3FfSPNR2/Radio_HD2_2105008_2.html

Last but not least choose a rom for the phone. Mittys, and Miri and dinks v1.7 are recommended,
follow that with my phone to put all your data back on, job done

Now I have of course simplified this, read the relavent posts and stickies first. Don't get to involved in what extras or roms to start off with, just try 1 or both of these I mentioned.
Lots of bits and bobs on the site that you might like, just get used to the proccess first. :)

Back
Top Bottom