The American soutwest

Caporegime
Sorry to sound harsh but I don't think you get large format shooting.

There are no digital 4x5's (well, there are one or two but even these astronomical cameras still don't match the quality of film.)

Secondly - shooting 4x5 is a slow process (takes soo long to set-up untill you get incredibly proficient (I'm not :p) at setting it up) - focussung alone is a mammoth task! And even then it's a lot of hard work to set-up so IMO there is no advantage to digital 4x5!!!

What do you have? I'm really pining after having a go with a 617 pano camera but the cost (Think you had one of these didn't you V-Spec?)! I take it the large formats are even more expensive than that?

Soldato
OP
What do you have? I'm really pining after having a go with a 617 pano camera but the cost (Think you had one of these didn't you V-Spec?)! I take it the large formats are even more expensive than that?

The opposite is true actually, in terms of 617 panoramic cameras there are only two worth using, the Fuji GX617 or the Linhof Technorama. The linhof uses better Schneider lenses but is more expensive, but they're both very good... Either one will cost you over £1500 - £2000 second hand for a good one, with a new Technorama costing in the region of £5k.

However you can get a brand new Ebony field camera, or cheaper second hand variant like a Toyo or something for £700 or more... The lenses are also cheaper than they are for a 617 system, as they're not mounted on a helical focusing mount - they just bolt onto the front of the camera with a board.

Associate

I no longer have a 4x5 but I've recently been considering moving back to some film for landscapes again. I used to use the Linfhof Technika 3000. (Sold in 2008 to fund being a student! (beer)

I'm now considering moving back to 4x5. But to be fair film wise I'm looking at three options...
Pentax 67's (body/prism/two lenses should be about £650ish)

Voigtlander lecia style set-up (21mm, 35mm, 75mm and body? £650ish)

Or go the whole hog for another 4x5 again (£1500ish to start with a small kit - two lenses and a decent body!!)

Associate
Amazing photos, I have been to laughlin in Nevarda and did some sight seeing in Arizona. TBH I never found any amazing locations, I wish I had taken more effort to find such potential locations.

Well done on some great photos

Soldato
Really nice shots Tim. Love the colour ones, especially number 1 and 5. I really need to get out with my 5x4 camera more. I would take it to Canada with me, but I am already twice over the carry-on limit with my digital kit.

As for people asking how big you can print a 5x4 shot. Well the answer is BIG. It depends on a lot of factors, but I have printed a cropped sensor, 12MP image at 62"x44" which is as big as I can go on a 44" printer and it looks fine. I regularly also print 5x4 prints at near that size and I they look great. I'm sure they would also look great on a 64" printer. But then you have the problem of where to hang it! Even the 62"x44" print takes up a large portion of my office, lol.

Caporegime
Wow, simply stunning!

Not much more I can say. Amazing results, and you really seem to be using the film well, not just shooting it like a DSLR but exploiting its tonalities.

Soldato
OP
Love #5 picture, stunning line colours. All in all how many photo's when you were out there for your time bein served?

Hey thanks!

I "Struggled" to get through 7 boxes of film and brought some home, all in all I shot around 110 colour images and 50 black and whites, along with a ton of snapshots with a little Nikon P&S which I bought from Walmart for $140 and its really impressed me.

Soldato
As others have said, amazing pics!!! My fave is Antelope Canyon - Arizona, which really ticks all the boxes for me, light and dark, lovely textures etc, it's just amazing!!!

Valve

Back
Top Bottom