quote for web design

Associate
Hi

Can I pick your brains? A friend of mine has received a quote for designing his website. He wants some static content, extranet access and some document storage, with possibly a form people can fill in with details to register on the site.

He's been quoted 1k for this to include:

Build a 5-10 page CMS site using a Premium template and including unlimited free modules, plug-ins and components.
Purchase of a .co.uk domain name
1 year’s hosting on our servers
Up to 2 site visits to London (1 of these for training of 1 member of staff)
1-2hrs training to amend text elements of site for 1 person

Here are some of the sites designed by the company..

http://www.thepointboscombe.co.uk
http://www.westovergardensstudenthalls.co.uk
http://www.visitboscombe.co.uk

Does this sound like good value? I'm not too impressed with some of those sites to be honest, but not sure how much to pay?

Soldato
All of their sites have rough edges in some form. The visit boscombe one is OK, despite leaving tracking code at the bottom and the joomla logo as the favicon.

That said, they have specced you something you don't need. I'm unsure as to what exactly you require by "extranet access" and "doc storage", but you didn't spec a CMS.

I'd have to know more about the site requirements before saying whether £1K is enough. Whats the registration form for? Does it link into another system?

Soldato
I'd say for what you have there, £1K is pretty cheap. However, it looks like the quality of the work done previously by the company you mentioned matches this low cost.

As gord says, what is your extranet looking to achieve? Could the document storage not be achieved via secure FTP?

Associate
OP
Hmm, sorry for not being clear. I'm trying to extract the vague details from this guy on what exactly he wants. In my opinion, if users could log in to a members area of the website and have online access to files that would be great. Not sure if this is possible with Joomla?

In terms of registering, the ideal scenario is people's details go into a CV/database system (which doesn't exist!). I think this sounds ambitious and expensive, so may be best if people can just register their details and then fill out a standard form separately?

Associate
Those designs are pretty ghastly. Why don't you get a design done by a third party and take it to them to build on their CMS with the hosting and training?

Associate
OP
I'd say for what you have there, £1K is pretty cheap. However, it looks like the quality of the work done previously by the company you mentioned matches this low cost.

As gord says, what is your extranet looking to achieve? Could the document storage not be achieved via secure FTP?

Good to know, thanks. Yes, i've seen other posts on here where people are getting the FTP storage separately as its cheaper. It does all need to be maintained and accessible for a non-technical team though.

Soldato
When you say CV/database system, do you mean a CRM or similar?

Your will need a CMS of sorts to deliver the stored docs to users, especially if they require permissions for different files etc, its going to need a nice back end for the non-tech team to manage. Those users will have to be stored in a database anyway, but I don't know if this is the same DB as the registration one?

As you said, "vague" springs to mind and that's no way to approach a design company because you will get a vague solution, which won't do what you need it to. "This guy" needs to sit down and put some thorough thought into exactly what he wants from his website and where he wants to go with it.

And then, no I wouldn't go with that design company. I would approach these guys, http://www.engageinteractive.co.uk/. I don't think they will be cheap, but their work is of the highest quality.

Back
Top Bottom