• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 flash to bypass 900/1300 limit

Associate
:D Been a while since I flashed a gpu.
I have a gigabyte 5870 & not even tried overclocking it yet, but might do.
Anyone who has flashed & bumped the speed up noticed in games a good improvement or only noticeable in benchmarks like it usually is?
Only overclocks I have ever found to make a pc faster is the system cpu, mem, anything changed?
I know lesser than the top end gpu's get an improvement, but from my experience top end cards hardly offer a difference in actual games.

Last edited:
Permabanned
hey

How would i go about flashing a 5870 thats in Slot-2 in my UD5 when the Slot1 is taken up with a 5970.

Would atiflash -f -p 0 xxxx.rom
and atiflash -f -p 1 xxxx.rom

Only do the 5970's GPU's???

So i would have to select
atiflash -f -p 2 xxxx.rom

i dont want to write a bios to my 5970 by accedent lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Permabanned
ok im back

Now then

Just for anyone else who is running a 5970 along side a 5870 and wants to flash the 5970 or 5870 please be advised

Before flashig type "atiflash -i" in the DOS menu... this will tell you your choice.

For me i had 3 for the picking... the first 2 had very muich the same bios apart from one digit diffrent and the last was very much diffrent so i picked that.

Turns out it was correct and now i have an Asus 5970 that can do much more :D

WOOO

Associate
Hi,

I wondering if some one can answer a question for me

I've flashed my Gigabyte 5870 to Asus bios atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.bin ( .rom didn't work?) Now in ATI over drive my new limit's are now: Core 1200 with Memory 1400... which is cool. But in MSI AB im not getting any control over the voltage. I've also changed MSI AB .cfg file =0 to =1 and saved where necessary. But still no control over Voltage!

My overclocks are pretty limited as a cant increase the volt like on my cpu. What am I doing wrong please?!

Thanks

Soldato
I followed the instructions but I didnt make a note of the previous GPUz screenie, how do i tell if the flash worked? I still seemed to be limited to 900 core or under :(

EDIT: I save the BIOS from my ASUS card using ATIFLASH -s 0 BIOS0.ROM and then copied it to my Sapphire card. It worked but i had to boot using only one card plugged in as without upping the default voltage i got BSOD at windows loading (on stock clocks).

The BIOS is dated Sept 2009, are any of the newer ASUS BIOSes worth upgrading to for stability?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would this be compatible with the HD5870 PCS+ From Powecolour? I wanna try it but not sure if this would be a reference designed card or not.

Ok so I went ahead and tried to give it a go and it seemed to work, voltage default seemed to jump to 1.15V but the problem was when trying to clock the card it seemed to freeze which I didn't quite understand. Also through MSI Afterburner it wasn't giving me any option in which to alter the Voltage myself.

The PCS+ has some sort of Voltage control on it which increases it to 1.1V when the card goes into 3D mode which helps the clock to around 920Mhz but I'm thinking this Voltage controller on the card is down clocking the Voltage to 1.1V when I try clocking on the new Increased Voltage Bios :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Would this be compatible with the HD5870 PCS+ From Powecolour? I wanna try it but not sure if this would be a reference designed card or not.

Any non-reference card design, other than ones advertised as allowing voltage control like Asus & MSI, won't work properly with this method afaik.

The Powercolour PCS+ & VTX cards both use a different voltage controller to the ATi reference designs which means voltage control via Afterburner or whatever else isn't possible, atm anyway.

Back
Top Bottom