Beer pump/keg connectors

Associate
I bought myself a strongbow beer pump and chiller system last year from a pub,the setup was easy and works brilliantly I have just come to the end of my keg of cider and fancy a change to a lager. I have been told carlsberg or 1664 kronenberg are the cleanest of lagers and don't require the lines to be cleared very often. I was wondering if anyone knew whether the keg connector for strongbow is the same as either of these lager kegs? Anyone know anything about the subject?

Associate
OP
stronbow cider is clean and you only need to pour of a couple of pints it lasted a good 3 months with 'heavy' use i think a keg worked out at something like 88pints, not to sure. Well i have been told that kronenberg and carlsberg are 'clean' lagers and only need a similar amount of pints to be poured out before each session and the lines stay clean where as stella is classed as a 'dirty' lager and needs to be cleaned through every session. I usually have a pint or so every evening and have friends that come round regualy and also have a few.

Commissario
I can't remember if Strongbow kegs use the same connectors as Kronenberg or Carlsberg, if it's not then you can always use a different connector on the line though.

Associate
Pretty sure they all use different connectors, also if your expecting to have lager in a line for 3 months with no cleaning it will no taste very good, after 2-3 weeks it'll start tasting nasty.

Soldato
They're all similar. Guiness use a specific connector, I believe the rest to be the same.

You'll need to pull of a couple of pints before use (depending on line length) and should completely empty, clean and run water through at least twice a week.

Unless you're having a function and will use it all, that's a lot of wastage for a couple of pints a day, let alone using it only a couple of days a week.

Associate
I can tell you from my time running the bar that they all run on the same connectors.
Cider needs very little pulling through or cleaning due to it not been high in yeast unlike larger.
Either way With Cider or Larger you should clean the lines at least once a week, once every two weeks for cider if your lazy and obviously its not been sold.
As to which larger to get.... You should clean ALL larger lines once a week regardless of brand! You dont want to get a larger based on if its 'cleaner' you want one for the flavour.

Associate
OP
I can tell you from my time running the bar that they all run on the same connectors.
Cider needs very little pulling through or cleaning due to it not been high in yeast unlike larger.
Either way With Cider or Larger you should clean the lines at least once a week, once every two weeks for cider if your lazy and obviously its not been sold.
As to which larger to get.... You should clean ALL larger lines once a week regardless of brand! You dont want to get a larger based on if its 'cleaner' you want one for the flavour.

thanks for the help much appreciated, im not too fussed when it comes to largers to be honest but the info on the cleaning through has been very useful.

Associate
As said cleaning really needs to be once a week for lagers, looking in the celler at work it would appear that they mostly use the same connectors (they just looked different because of the handle/lock mechanism thing). I remember Carling/Coors being different though.

Associate
As said cleaning really needs to be once a week for lagers, looking in the celler at work it would appear that they mostly use the same connectors (they just looked different because of the handle/lock mechanism thing). I remember Carling/Coors being different though.

Nah Carling runs on the same standard connector as most other kegs. The only one usually different is the Guinness one which has a slide and lock connection instead of the twist and lock.

Makes me wish i had my pub back now :( or at least room to set up a small cellar/bar.

Associate
Carling is definatley different, least it was about 1 year ago when we had it at 'spoons. All the other connectors sort of screwed onto the conector on the barrel, carling connected on the outside of the barrell kind of like guinness but rather slide and lock you had to rotate the connecter (in either direction so it catches the barrel connector) then lock. Anyway good luck with the lager although wouldn't it just be easier to get a few tins like the rest of us do lol.

Back
Top Bottom