Mobile Me

Associate
Guys,

Tried a search but cant seem to find any info (my searching skills do suck however so feel free to point me in the right direction) on mobile me.

Im interested in it when I upgrade from my 3G to whatever is lurking for next Monday WWDC :D

What are its benefits, drawbacks etc? Is it worth the money?

Cheers

Associate
OP
What i meant was my searching skills on this forum suck. I am looking for OCUK experiances/opinions etc on the product. Not to be able to read the guff on apples website.

But thanks for your help :-/

Associate
lol.
It's only worth it if you think it's worth it. You could have push email or you could have the phone check your account every 15mins, would you want to pay premium to get email 15minutes early? I pay for this but not every one would. Obviously there are many other functions too, like idisk.

Associate
I like it, the push email is nice.

I'd say where the real value comes from is if you have a Mac. I had Mobile Me before i bought a Mac for my iPhone and i liked it then. But it really helps synchronise everything, and the iDisk integration with Mac OS X is great for me. It creates a local version of your iDisk so you can save stuff to that section, and it automatically synchronises it with the iDisk in the cloud.

Great for me to create one place where my work is stored to access it from all places, even if when i move over to Windows it isn't as simple. But you can still map your iDisk as a network drive in windows.

Find my iPhone is nice to have and the rest of the synchronising features (Contacts, calender, etc) and stuff like Back to my mac is stuff that if you would use, are great.

Associate
I love it, you can get it from the bay for much cheaper. The syncing between, contacts, calendars and bookmarks is brilliant.

I own an iPhone, iPad and a iMac so once I add a bookmark on any one of my devices the rest update.

Soldato
just signed up to the 60 free trail will most likely keep it going after the period is up ;) only problem i have is that a lot of my emails go to my hotmail account is there a way of forwarding all them emails to the me.com account:confused:

Soldato
Well worth it...

So many things... Auto sync, iDisk, Find your iPhone etc... (Price tag is a little to high for my liking, yes i stupidly bought it from apple, but i still got it as i liked it a lot)....

Aliases are a good addition as well.

Soldato
I prefer Google's services (GMail + Google Calendar + Chrome) and Dropbox. Free and, IMO, better quality.

And also, much more faffing about ;)

Mate has that setup on his 3G, I have MobileMe, it's synced perfectly and his has had 'issues'. :p

As for better quality, having my MP/MBP/iPhone synced perfectly within 60 seconds (20 seconds a machine putting user/password in) can't be beaten!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I sync contacts, calendars, email and my Safari bookmarks.

So easy to set up and you can buy them for as little as £35 on ebay :)

Soldato
What issues? Maybe we could offer advice. I'm syncing contacts and multiple calendars across two iPhones and a Nokia E71 just fine.

I can't remember what they were, but having to have multiple settings and apps to sync everything seems like effort.

Even if it works just as well as mobile me im not quite sure where "better quality" comes from?

Calendars, Contacts, Emails, Bookmarks, Keychain, System Preferences, Mail Rules, Dock Icons and notes all done in the background with absolutely no intervention from me.

Soldato
Even if it works just as well as mobile me im not quite sure where "better quality" comes from?

I wouldn't trust a service that has a history of losing people's e-mail. Also, Dropbox is head and shoulders better than iDisk. Many due to great Linux and mobile support and because Dropbox takes less time to sync. Even if I used MobileMe, I'd still use Dropbox over iDisk.

Soldato
Tunney apart from a link thats from 2 years ago most of what you have said is personal preference, so you choose to go with with drop box and google services others on here choose mobileme myself included, rscosworth was asking about mobileme

Back
Top Bottom