Is this even broadband?

Associate
Just ran a speedtest at the girlfriends and got:

833914744.png

Those speeds.. is that even broadband as they seem pathetic to me.

Associate
Thats terrible. In my student house we had Virgin BB. It was even worse than that. There was times i was DL in BITS and BYTES at a time. I felt good when it reached megabits. I also usually uploaded considerably faster than down. Needless to say gaming didnt happen much...

Soldato
Good old BT.

Considering they've been giving people rubbish speeds, caps and traffic management for years it does make me wonder why they are so popular. Wandering around my area with an Ipod Touch there are literally dozens of BT Homehub routers, 2 or 3 times as many as Sky or other branded ones.

They're expensive too.

Never again.

Soldato
what's it supposed to be?

if it's ADSL, sometimes it takes a few days for the signal to 'realise' it's maximum speed. had a problem with my mums' bt a few months ago, got in touch with them, they replaced the master socket, and gave us a new modem/router, took about 3 days to achieve normal speeds again

Associate
when we first went with broadband, we got 512kbit from talktalk. they then sent us a letter about a year later saying they were upgrading our exchange to allow us to have the full 8Mbit they promised. When the upgrade day came, the final speed settled at around 2.5Mbit. At the time i put it down to the fact we're about 3 miles away from the exchange. Then we got some generic wireless router from TT (our old one broke and they just happened to offer it to us right after), which started the problems. when we got it going, the speed dropped to 1Mbit, and hasnt changed since (this was about 2 years ago). even though we bought a nice shiny belkin N+ router to replace it. no matter how many times i explained the situation, TT inststed it was to do with the distance from the exchange...

Soldato
oh how the times have changed lol, back in the first adsl days 256k/512k were the entry level connections and nobody then would have questioned its superiority to 56k dial up or 128k isdn :p

your either being throttled, the connection is rubbish or your still on a package from 1999

Soldato
damn, at home my dad is paying £17 a month for a 2mb Orange connection. Its good enough to browse sites but if you need something downloading its terrible. I have been using Sky max for a year now and had 12-18.5mb connection speeds

I would switch provider if I were you

Associate
oh how the times have changed lol, back in the first adsl days 256k/512k were the entry level connections and nobody then would have questioned its superiority to 56k dial up or 128k isdn :p

your either being throttled, the connection is rubbish or your still on a package from 1999

Yea but remember how small the internet was back then!

Now it's designed for faster connections, back when we were all on 56k or even 256/512k the web was a lot smaller and less "flash"y.

Soldato
my fiancees mum and dad had incredibly slow broadband. sky kept telling them that it was the ancient cabling in the house.

anyway i went on a bit of a mission to solve the problem, found the master socket and it was still slow in the test socket.(indicating a fault with the bt line)

i had to then call sky and tell the guy on the phone that i had plugged the router directly into the test socket. he then asked if id tried the master socket which i replied that the test socket is in the master socket.

anyway after 20mins they realised there was a cap on the line and took it off.

donuts.

Back
Top Bottom