5.1 Speakers for Laptop/TV/XBox?

Associate
Good evening all,

Not really sure how to approach this one.

I have the current setup in the lounge:

LG 32LH2000 TV
XBox via HDMI
Virgin Box via Scart
Laptop via VGA

Would like a basic 5.1 system to listen to all these through, but no idea really what I'm looking for! Started with thinking I'll just hook up some basic speakers to the laptop so don't have to use the poor inbuilt one, but now thats developed into thinking a system for everything to run through would be better.

Any advice is appreciated!

Associate
I have the logitech Z5450 (now replaced by Z5500) speakers which have connections from Optical, Coax & 3x 3.5mm Jack plug from computer sound card. They are about £190 and is 5.1 with a huge sub.

Seems like that will satisfy your needs? Other than that you can get cables and connectors from most devices that will plug into cinema amps etc.

Soldato
Problem with cheaper 5.1 PC speakers is, they only have 3 3.5mm jack connection, and being analogue you can't get true 5.1, as consoles and TV's only output 5.1 via digital. With the Z5500's having various connections, bar HDMI, it means you can get true 5.1 from your TV, if it has an optical port, or from the Xbox.

Associate
Yeah mine have done me well and they sound pretty good.

I had two kids who are now 3 & 2 years old and kept pulling or knocking my speakers off their stands so i got the 5450 with wireless to save hassle (I actually got it free and brand new from a couple on free cycle...but thats another story).

I used to have a seperate system comprising of Sony STR-DB 940, mordaunt short MS202 x4 & an eltax centre. The 5450 doesnt sound as good as the sony but it isnt far off and jusdging my cinema set up cost me £400+ £190 odd is a steal :D I now use the sony in my conservatory with the speakers hidden under the sofas, it sounds epic for music :D

Only thing I was lacking on the sony was a sub :(

anyway im rabbling..... yeah you should be happy with the 5500 on a budget. The only other option is to buy cinema seperates second hand off a well known auction site but these days i ahve NO idea whats good and whats not.... what hifi magazine is a good start.

Back
Top Bottom